What's new
What's new

J Head Clone - Auto quill feed issues

Toggleme

Plastic
Hi Folks,

First post here. I'd like to provide a little background on my problem and what I've done so far. Trying to get a better understanding of the mechanics of the auto quill feed on the j heads.

- Bought a Diamond J-head clone a few weeks ago. Feed trip bracket broken (#17) at pin for trip handle and trip handle (#49) small head that goes inside also broken off.
- Attempted to reverse engineer and build new bracket from plate. Generally successful? More to come here.
- Drilled and tapped trip handle for a 10-32 set screw to see if I could make a quick and dirty fix. The handle moves the cam rod sleeve assembly (#47) and cam rod (#48) enough to start downfeed, but not enough to lock in place.
- Extended set screw to try to resolve the issue, no luck. When i press on the cam rod assembly towards the right, everything engages and works as it should.

What do you all think is the issue here? Does the head of my handle need to be even longer to the point that it engages? Is my pin location incorrect and needs to move a bit further to the right? I'm leaning towards the latter after giving it some thought.

Untitled.jpg

Back