What's new
What's new

J Head Clone - Auto quill feed issues

Toggleme

Plastic
Folks,

First post here. Looking for some input on a problem I'm having with the quill feed on a Diamond brand J head clone. Here is a rundown of my situation:

- Purchased mill a few weeks ago and noticed the feed trip bracket (#17) was broken at pin 266 and the feed trip lever (#49) had the small round head sheared off.
- I attempted to make the bracket out of plate with some success? More to come on this
- For the feed trip lever, I drilled and tapped it for a 10-32 set screw to see if I could get it to function. The lever pushes on the cam rod (#48) but not far enough. I extended the set screw and still no luck - wont push over far enough. When i press the cam assemble to the right by hand, the auto feed works perfectly.

What do you all think is the issue here? Does the shape of the head on the lever matter? I've seen its usually pretty round. Is the lever not pushing the cam over to the right far enough? Is my pin hole in the wrong location? Any advice or insight would be helpful.

Untitled.jpg

Hope this helps someone else in the future. The problem was the alignment of the cam into the head casting where the plunger engages. I reinstalled it while trying to center it up visually, and it works great now. Guess the handle didnt have enough force to pop it in when it was slightly misaligned.

Back