What's new
What's new

J-Head Ram Adapter Stop PIn missing

spiceman

Plastic
I have two Ram Adapters one with the stop pin installed and a second adapter without a stop pin. As the pin only stops the head about 22degs off center, why is it there, is it just a safety feature added later in the years of production.

My reason for posting is:
I managed to pick up a BP J-head last month in overall good condition at least in the doing a once over for making the purchase. In my once over effort I did not tilt the head before paying and loading. So once it was loaded on my trailer I had issues with tilting the head down for travel. After arriving at my shop I found it could only be moved with bolts loose as heck and me supporting it while rotating.
I pulled the head and found that the Ram Adapter had three good size chip outs on the inner back side in the ring where the t-bolts would sit in normal position. I assume the previous owner either grossly over tightened the bolts or more likely smacked the head with a forklift in moving the machine.

In my choices for repair I could either patch the chips with Devcon Titanium Putty or replace the adapter.
The first would require milling the slots after patch, the latter choice has a hefty cost that is tough to face.

With some luck I did find a fair price on a ram adapter and bought it.
It looks and matches all the way but the missing stop pin. So I am at the point of how important is the need for the pin. Do I drill the main stop pin hole and the two mounting holes and tap them to add this to the unit. It is a really needed item and worth the effort.

One other difference noted is the adapter pivot pin. My machine has the pin with snap rings on each end to hold it in place. The second ram adapter has a pivot pin with a threaded lock nut. To use this I need to drill one small hole for the dowel pin one one side. This I think I will just go with the snap rings.

We dont patch knuckles when the head is overtightened and breaks the casting like that.

The stop pins were put in newer knuckles/ram adapters in case there was a mishap and the head just started dropping when rotating it. They are not needed.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

Back