What's new
What's new

Konia Powermill FV-1

GordoB

Plastic
Hello Machinists.

Seeing as this is my second post, i feel as if i am at the pinnacle of noobs on this forum.

Long story short, and getting to the point. I have found an old Konia powermill sitting in the corner of my local technical college (Sydney, Australia) From what i can deduct, it has DRO on X and Y axis, and Powerfeed on the X and Z axis. On the Ram, there is also a Slotting head (brand/model i am unsure about) which is mounted on the rear end of the machine. It looks like the whole ram assembly could pivot around the central pedestool (there is probably a more accurate name for this) to enable the use of the slotter.

Essentially what i am looking for is a Manual on the Milling machine itself and any other relevant information on the machine (if possible)

Any help would be appreciated
GordoB

Gordo,

First of all, it's Kondia
IIRC, the FV-1 was either a 2 or 3 axis CNC machine. If it's manual, somebody has converted it. The 2 axis machines were Dyna-path and the 3 axis were Hurco.

Here's the Kondia website, they can probably help with a manual if you have the serial number and the machine has not be converted.
KONDIA - Atencin al cliente
JR

Thanks JR,

I think i realised i had made the mistake of calling it a Konia instead of a Kondia about 5 minutes before i went to sleep last night.

With this Kondia im looking at, it has the manual feed handles on the end of the table with the powerfeed on the x-axis only. I am highly doubtful that it has been modified seeing as it is a Government run institution (who have a reputation of leaving things the way they are).

I have just sent off an enquiry to Kondia about this Mill so fingers crossed

Thanks for the input

JR,
your Just Full of good knowledge. Just answered my next question about the mill.
im pretty sure its an ISO 30, based on looking at the way the flange lines up on the mill. i didnt find a keyway in the spindle either, so it seems to be leaning towards the ISO 30.

While im on the ISO 30, how does it differ from the NMTB 30 taper if at all?

Thanks again

The taper is the same, it's the flange and the retention areas that are different.

An ISO holder is basically a CAT holder with additional provisions for coolant. Many European machines induce coolant through the tool holder flange instead of through a hollow retention knob as the CAT holders. You "should" be able to use an ISO holder in a CAT machine, but not necesarilly vice-versa.

A NMTB holder has a "knob" on the small end of the taper and a slightly different sized drive key. With a little modification, you should be able to use an ISO holder in a NMTB machine.
JR

GordoB,
I have a FV1 with 3-axis CNC in Western Sydney.
My machine was amateur converted with Linux and EMC2.
It is in pieces mid-clean/review/overhaul but it was working fine when I got it.
The previous owner was doing impressive special components for motor-cycles.

I have sent you a PM.
John.

Hi John,

Its good to know that there are a Few of these Kondia's Hanging around the City. I havnt picked mine up yet, still finalising the sale of it.

My Kondia is a Completely Manual machine. it has the powerfeed and DRO on it currently but that is just about all, a CNC retrofit is on the cards in the future for mine and i am hoping to go down the EMC2 pathway (my IT background has brought me up to basically live linux for computing).
I will be sure to keep you in mind if i have any questions about the Mills.

Gordo

Good day fellas,

I am looking to purchase a Kondia FV1 Powermill ... I have been offered a very well looked after (in excellent condition) step pulley version which I am very keen to get ... BUT ... I have been hard pressed to find any information on where to get parts either here in Australia or from the USA if and when it becomes necessary.

I intend to run it with a VFD to allow operation from a single phase 220v supply.

Has anyone out there got some info that will help ???

Thanks Steve

I too have a Kondia FV-1 Powermill

Hi All

Just about 3 weeks ago i bought a Kondia Powermill FV-1. It was listed on Ebay a few times then on graysonline. I was encouraged by the seller to buy it and now have it in the garage in 2 bits. head on a pallet and the base. I got a horizontal milling attachment and odd bits but no actual milling cutters etc. It is in good condition, although the connection for the power to the head has corroded solid and the rubber backing perished. it has ISO30/NT30 spindle taper.

Despite what was said above they were sold as manual versions right from the start. Mine has no DRO and only the longitudinal feed. there is a lubrication pump in the bottom of the main housing.

You are correct in saying there is nothing on the web about kondias! I searche and searched. Apparently there was a dealer here until a few years ago but no longer.

I do have the manual for the variable speed head and the FV-1 powermill.

I would be interested in knowing any one else who has one and maybe comparing and pooling some information.

My background is electronis not metalwork. This is a hobby!

james
Rydalmere, Sydney, NSW, Australia

Put the head back on the Kondia FV-1 tonight!

I transported the mill home on a car trailer in 2 bits. The base and the ram with the head attached. Tonight I rigged up the hoist and stood the ram up on the pallet and then a complex webbing arrangement to lift up flat and not twist due to the top heavy centre of gravity. got it up and in place in 30 min or so then well over an hour to get the "spider" and bolts back in though the hole in the side of the base!

Much happier to have it back together as there was a risk of damage lying on the pallet!.

The plug for the head was stuck in the socket so tomorrow night I plan to replace with a new one from RS.

Guess I will need some tooling and a vice soon!

Cheers

james

Good to see you got it home in one piece.

Im still working through the formalities in the sale of my Kondia -- you know what the state government is like haha.

I have decided that im not going to risk damaging my Kondia when i move it, im pretty sure it weighs around the order of 3.5 - 4 tons and the thought of moving it myself is a little intimidating. Theres a rigging / heavy transport company based locally that i have ties to so i shall be asking them when the time comes to move the Mill. I dont have any ideas as to the eventuality of the slotting head on the other end of the ram, but only time will tell.

Alll the best with getting your Mill to operational workings.

Gordon

Hi Guys,

I'm still debating as to whether to buy the Kondia offered to me ... looks like a very well put together bit of kit though!
I have been in contact with the US agents Clausing ...

Clausing Service Center

They tell me that they still support the machines BUT that due to the age of them SOME parts may become difficult to acquire .... though they did not go so far as to tell which parts they may be ??

The story continues ...

;)

Hi guys,
I'm on the other side of the country from you and have just picked up a FV-1. It needs some work, so I have been searching for some info to assist me with this.

I did manage to find a free manual on a French site but so far, there are some discrepancies between the manual and what I see on the machine. Perhaps it is the Spanish --> French --> English translation!

The serial number is E-37 and the head states it is one of the Spanish made machines. I believe that Clausing purchased Kondia, but I am unsure if the Clausing Kondia mills were still made in Spain or not. I have sent an email to both the Spanish and US sites listed above and will wait for a response.

I'm curious as to whether any of you unearthed any further information or resources?

Hey guys i have the manuals!

Hi guys I have the manuals and getting the mill up to scratch to use it. I am interested in where and how your DRO is attached as i expect my 4 axis DRO to arrive next week.

Would swap manual for some photos and info ?

Cheers

James

Hi guys,
I'm on the other side of the country from you and have just picked up a FV-1. It needs some work, so I have been searching for some info to assist me with this.

I did manage to find a free manual on a French site but so far, there are some discrepancies between the manual and what I see on the machine. Perhaps it is the Spanish --> French --> English translation!

The serial number is E-37 and the head states it is one of the Spanish made machines. I believe that Clausing purchased Kondia, but I am unsure if the Clausing Kondia mills were still made in Spain or not. I have sent an email to both the Spanish and US sites listed above and will wait for a response.

I'm curious as to whether any of you unearthed any further information or resources?

G'day Gents ...

I finally bought my Kondia FV1 Mill.

As per usual it arrived at my home just as I was about to depart for a 3 months away work tour .... so I will not get to play with it until September sometime.

A quick inspection has made me very happy with the purchase it appears to have had a very easy life to date and is in VERY GOOD condition.

I went with the 'pay a bit more and get a good machine option' and that would appear so far to have been a good choice ....

The machine is a fully manual step pulley 2hp R8 spindle and was made (or so I was told) in 1984. It also has a Newell DRO on the X & Y axis.

I have a Mitsubishi 720 series single to 3 phase inverter drive ready to set up for it ... just need to get back home and sort it all out !!!

I can hardly wait ... :D

Can anyone tell me where to purchase belt for clausing kondia FV-1?

G'day Gents ...

I finally bought my Kondia FV1 Mill.

As per usual it arrived at my home just as I was about to depart for a 3 months away work tour .... so I will not get to play with it until September sometime.

A quick inspection has made me very happy with the purchase it appears to have had a very easy life to date and is in VERY GOOD condition.

I went with the 'pay a bit more and get a good machine option' and that would appear so far to have been a good choice ....

The machine is a fully manual step pulley 2hp R8 spindle and was made (or so I was told) in 1984. It also has a Newell DRO on the X & Y axis.

I have a Mitsubishi 720 series single to 3 phase inverter drive ready to set up for it ... just need to get back home and sort it all out !!!

I can hardly wait ... :D
Hi
I would like to know where I can purchase belt for the Clausing Condia FV-1.

Hi Guys
Well the story of my Kondia FV-1 continues.
Late in 2012 the wife decided we were moving house (too many Kids) and I was lucky enough to be invited to move too and to pay for it too!
This was just as I had finished building the new special workshop. We (I) spent 3 months doing all the jobs I had not quite had time for over the 15 years we had lived there. Went to auction and only one bidder, wife burst into tears but we got a reasonable offer and accepted it. 3 days later we made an offer and commited to buy a nice new place about 8km away. Had to put a special clause in contract to rent garage workshop for 3 months extra so I could move the gear!.

New place had a garage but it was falling down so a month to fix it and re roof it, new walls, door etc. Took every spare moment of 3 months to move it all too..

back to the Kondia. I split the ram off again and strapped to a pallet. bought a push around forklift and managed to move the ram in the back of the Landrover 130 Ute. Also put the base in the Ute, boy I knew it was in the back! managed to get it unloaded and put ram back on Ok. then a year went by fixing up the house. Bought some leveling castors and fitted them to the Mill so i could actually move it rather than have it sitting on blocks. But then it just got pushed out of the way.
Finally last Friday I decided it was Mill Day. I found the new plug and socket I had purchased all that time back and fitted it up in a couple of hours. The old workshop had 3 phase but the new place only pathetic single. I had picked up a Phase convertor rated to 3Kw so not too bad. I plugged the Kondia in for the first time since I bought it.
X feed motor ran fine. Yippee!
The coolant motor ran fine, 2 down.
Head just made a chug and then clicking from control box. darn!
eventually traced the phases and re phased the feed to the control transformer that drives the contactors due to idiocyncracies of the Phase convertor. Plugged it in and You Beauty it all works. Now need to find where the tooling is amongst all the boxes.

Maybe I can actually mill something soon.

Regards

james

Re the belt. which head do yu have? Stepped pulleys or the variable speed?

Back