What's new
What's new

Learning Ladder editing on Hardinge (Fanuc) VMC

BobM3

Cast Iron
I'd like to use my Hardinge VMC 1000II with Fanuc 0i-MB control to learn ladder editing. It doesn't look like there is an on-board editor. I assume I would transfer the ladder out to a PC via the RS232 connector or the memory card and then edit it with Fanuc ladder editing software. I then transfer it back. But I see that some machines actually have the ladder burned into EPROM. Does any one know if this machine has the ladder in EPROM?

The Fanuc 0i-MB should have the ladder in an PMC file.
If you have an memory card slot at the user panel, it should be easy to get it out and in.
Backup the original in at least 2 different places.
Fanuc ladder editor is the way to go.
I believe that you have to write it to F-Rom? to keep the changes when done.

I contacted Fanuc to ask about their Ladder III software. They told me that Hardinge owns the ladder (implying I can't modify it). I'm guessing there are some bits set so that outputting the program isn't possible.

Kind of sad - it's about 17 years old.

Getting the program out is most likely possible, I have pulled out 100's of them for backup.
Ladder III software is available as well.
The legality of modifying it is an gray area, as it is Hardinge owned.
It is easy to make an edit that causes unintended results, as it is a rather large house of cards.
What are you trying to accomplish?

I'm just trying to learn ladder programming. I was hoping Fanuc's Ladder III running the ladder on my PC would allow me to step through the ladder diagram rung by rung and allow me to set different digital inputs and see what happens. I suppose I could buy the software and just create a ladder on the PC that uses stuff similar to the ladder stuff on the VMC.

I have not contacted Hardinge yet.

If you are just want to learn ladder programming, send me an PM with your Email address, and I can send you some ladder programs and an editor.

Back