What's new
What's new

Leveling Feet/Casters for Bridgeport Mill

mrplasma

Aluminum
I recently struggled with how I might lift my newly acquired Bridgeport off its pallet and move it into position. I finally solved the problem by sliding the front off the pallet and mounting leveling feet/casters, then doing the same with the rear of the machine. This also fixes the issue of a substantial slope in my garage floor near the walls.

H&W Machine sells a kit that uses solid bars across under the front and back of the machine, with leveling feet at the ends. My approach was similar, but I used 5" x 2" 1/4" wall rectangular tubing with leveling feet that have integral casters. Since the machine is now 7" taller, I bought a 7" high work platform.

casters1.jpg casters2.jpg Platform.jpg

That looks real good. Nice job.

I recently did something similar but without the casters. I move my mill with a pallet jack that fits between the feet. It’s not ideal. It’s not easy getting the long forks of the jack under the mill in a restricted space. And of course I can’t easily rotate the mill like you can.

Also making a stand build Bridgeport

I recently struggled with how I might lift my newly acquired Bridgeport off its pallet and move it into position. I finally solved the problem by sliding the front off the pallet and mounting leveling feet/casters, then doing the same with the rear of the machine. This also fixes the issue of a substantial slope in my garage floor near the walls.

H&W Machine sells a kit that uses solid bars across under the front and back of the machine, with leveling feet at the ends. My approach was similar, but I used 5" x 2" 1/4" wall rectangular tubing with leveling feet that have integral casters. Since the machine is now 7" taller, I bought a 7" high work platform.

View attachment 319835 View attachment 319836 View attachment 319838

I am also working on a build. After numerous searches I decided to use 2x2x1/4 and 2x3x1/4 with offset 6x31/2 angle to let the casters only raise the machine 4" total.
Put leveling feet on 2x2 mounted to machine to stabilize after rolled into postion. I just started yesterday. Not sure how to attach pics yet. New member.

I don't have my BP mill on a rolling base, but if I did build one I would make it so that the machine was as close to the floor as possible to keep the center of gravity low. These machines can be pretty "tippy" when moving them. I recently built a mobile base for my bandsaw and made it so that the machine is less than an inch off of the floor. Just food for thought. Couple of photos attached.
Ted

IMG_20201030_140159864_HDR.jpgIMG_20201109_084005840.jpg

Like the ban saw. I am using 2x2 square stock under the machine and threading 1/2 rod thru for my levelers. Making it 3 3/4" off the floor. After seeing your build I could have use c channel and got even lower. But my casters are based on the same principle. Tried to load pics. Not sure if I got them to upload.

I don't have my BP mill on a rolling base, but if I did build one I would make it so that the machine was as close to the floor as possible to keep the center of gravity low. These machines can be pretty "tippy" when moving them. I recently built a mobile base for my bandsaw and made it so that the machine is less than an inch off of the floor. Just food for thought. Couple of photos attached.
Ted

View attachment 319918View attachment 319919
I have the exact same bandsaw mounted on a similar base where it sits about 2" off the floor. Sure makes it nice to move around when it gets in the way. Thanks for sharing.

Back