What's new
What's new

Leveling a Hardinge Conquest 225B

mmserv

Plastic
Greetings. I am the proud owner of a new to me Hardinge swiss style CNC lathe. I'm in the process of re-installing the machine at my shop. I think I may already have a solution for this issue, but I thought I would run this one past you guys while I'm resting this evening.

The manual states to level the machine before connecting power or starting up, however; the machine was locked in place with the Z axis carriage in the middle of the Z axis ways, which the manual states is where you should place your level in order to indicate the level of the machine. With the carriage where it is, I cannot place a level along either Z axis way. I am able to place the level across the ways and get the machine level from front to back.

I feel that getting the machine close to level, removing shipping brackets, powering up and moving the carriage all the way back, then shutting down the machine in order to then continue to level the machine to the precise level required is my best bet...what say you?

Can anyone confirm what these things weigh?

Others that I find specs on in the 1" range all say 5500 to 6000#, and I know that this machine has a reputation for being built heavier, but the only mention of a weight that I have found so far is 9500#.

That's a long way from the competition!
Are these really that heavy?
Or maybe that was incl a barfeeder?
IDK....

I just bought 2 and need to know what fer truck that I need to send.

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back