What's new
What's new

List of Hardinge accessories?

DocsMachine

Titanium
Is there, anywhere, anything like a definitive list of Hardinge accessories, and what models they fit?

With help from a few posters here, and looking at a bunch of photos, I think I have a decent starting set of tooling for my HSL. But I started wondering, as I was looking for a decent- and affordable- cross slide set, which are the models to look for, which ones fit what machine, etc.

I was confused for a bit when I saw various cross slide assemblies marked "Model B" and "Model N" and the like, thinking that they were meant to FIT a "Model B".

Please keep in mind I'm brand new to Hardinges in general. :D

Anyway, yes, I've since figured out those are models/generations of the cross slide itself, and am pretty sure there's only the two types of bed- the "split" bed and the dovetail. (Not counting, of course, the HLV-H, etc.)

But there's still others I'd be interested in. I understand there's a rear-mount parting tool holder for the DV/HSL lever cross slide, but I haven't even been able to find a picture of one. Front, yes, spindle-mount, sure, but rear? Nothing I've been able to find.

I'd also like to know if there's other, more rare or specialty tooling that I haven't heard about. For example, is there a way to do small drilling on an HSL? I saw a lever-actuated tailstock that'd be ideal, but it is, of course, far too large for an HSL.

Would the trick, then, be to simply put a bolting tool post on one of those straight/taper lever top slides, and fit a drill to it? I only need about an inch and a half swing on a tiny center drill.

Is there a book or manual or anything that shows all this, or better yet, an online source?

Doc.

As you may have noticed, I have been using Hardinge lathes for decades and started with old Cataract brand machines. But I have a few newer models, including an HSL, and lots of tooling that works on both old and new models.

Until around twenty years ago, Hardinge was quite helpful with printing and freely sending out all sorts of printed catalogs and manuals for their machines. The last one I got was a red plastic loose-leaf ring binder full of machine, collets and tooling catalogs dated 1990-1992. The tooling catalog includes notes on what machines could use the various items. Most Hardinge tooling was made by Hardinge, but there were a small number of items that they bought outside and gave Hardinge model numbers.

When I got my Hardinge turret lathe in 1982 or so, I ordered new tooling from Hardinge because there was no Internet and few local used machine dealers. The rear cutoff holder for the lever double tool cross slide is Hardinge model D10. It came in a Hardinge box, but the actual tool was made by Empire Tool, as were the blades. Hardinge did this trick simply because Empire made the best cutoff tooling. The D10 has a 4-position blade holder that lets it be assembled for use on the front or rear of the cross slide and with the blade on the left or right side of the post. The blades were invented and licensed to Empire by a man named Luers and the older Empire tools have that information on them.

As you might expect, I have a few spare D10 cutoffs and blades for sale. Here are pictures of one of the spares and the 1990 catalog page. I have the D10 assembled in the rear left position, which is probably the most commonly used, but you can see the four screw holes for the different positions.

Hardinge would have given you a free HSL catalog thirty years ago, but you can buy a 14 page reprint for $17.50 from Ozark. I do not have one, but I expect it will have a few pages listing the more common tooling for the machine. HARDINGE HSL59 Speed Lathe Catalog | Ozark Tool Manuals & Books

Larry

DSC02747.jpg DSC02748.jpg D10 cut off holder cat pic.jpg D10 cut off in use.jpg

Looks like that can be used front or back - right side up or upside down. Note the riser block which is a sort of universal item.

The rear cutoff holder for the lever double tool cross slide is Hardinge model D10.

-Ah. I did see one of those, but the listing was just for a "Hardinge D10" and included no blade, so I had no idea what it was for.

As you might expect, I have a few spare D10 cutoffs and blades for sale.

-PM on the way.

Here are pictures of one of the spares and the 1990 catalog page.

-Oh, sure, easy to see how it works, now. Thanks.

Not 100% sure I'll even ever need such a thing, but I like having tools for some of this stuff even if I don't use it often. There's times when a single job can justify a certain tool. :)

[...] but you can buy a 14 page reprint for $17.50 from Ozark.

-I'd been thinking of grabbing one of those, but wasn't sure if it'd be worth it. I've bought more than one "manual" that was little more than a photo of the machine, with a numbered list pointing to the various parts. Chuck, headstock, carriage, etc.

Though considering what it's already cost me, one of those is almost a drop in the bucket. :D

Note the riser block which is a sort of universal item.

-Yep. Thanks to Larry's first reply here and a little closer look at some of the available photos, I got a much better idea of how the tooling works on these things. I bought a front and rear toolpost, and two riser blocks- being careful in all cases to make sure the risers had the T-bolts and cam screws, and the posts had the wedge. And that the toolposts were, in fact, a front and a rear- I almost screwed that one up. :D

Doc.

It's not definitive since it does not list older accessories and machine models such as tooling for the split bed versions (we have Larry and his generosity for that) but Hardinge did publish catalogs of accessories and tooling that list what was available and which machines they fit. I'll try to attach a scan of the front page of the one I have.
For drilling on the HSL I've just used the compound with straight shank holders on my Hardinge L-18 tool post. Depending on what I'm doing I have a tool holder with a chuck mounted on it, or if space is a concern, which is of course common on an HSL, I use drill bushings in a straight shank holder.

a13171582bd0c3e5fdb466636007ef90.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For drilling on the HSL I've just used the compound with straight shank holders on my Hardinge L-18 tool post.

-When I first picked this thing up, I'd intended it to be a typical second-operation machine in support of the Warner & Swasey turret lathe. But the more I looked, the more capable this little thing seems to be.

And IF I can hold good tolerances with some of these used tools- especially the old "Model N" cross slide I picked up- I have a number of small, precision parts to manufacture, that I've had some trouble with on the other lathes.

The 'drilling' I have in mind is tiny- basically a center drill in a 3/16" slug. I think if I can find one of those "straight and taper" slides, and somehow mount a little maybe ER-11 straight-shank holder, I think I'd be set.

Doc.

Back