What's new
What's new

Looking at a 1930s Bridgeport -- am I crazy?

shaggy

Hot Rolled
Hi guys. I'm looking for some feedback on a really old Bridgeport round ram mill. I run pretty much of a hobby shop, though I try to make it useful and sometimes pay. Finding and keeping my old machines running is a big part of the hobby, of course. I've got old U.S. iron from the 40s, 50s and 60s. I once had an SB workshop lathe that was about this vintage, but this would potentially be the oldest machine in my collection, and I'm a little nervous of a perhaps too-backward move. On the other hand, 'they don't make 'em like this anymore'(pretty much my motto!)

My initial reaction was 'uh-oh, cool, but no thanks', but having thought about it a bit, I'll be honest, I'm curious. It's surely a collector's item (just like all my other machinery), but the price is right (I think), and if it's useable and without any deal-breaking issues, it could be just what I want.
I know it's MT2, and there may be some other issues I haven't thought of yet. One of the main things to me is it might be a little easier to move than a later BP. I don't know for sure, it just looks more manageable. Or am I wrong about that? I intend dismantling to get most of it in my SUV, several trips if necessary (I've done this with smaller mills, anyway. We'll see. I'd love to know what just the bare base weighs, btw!)

The seller is a nice guy, very much on my wavelength, and very helpful, and the machine looks like a faithful servant that's never been left out in the weather or forgotten. OK, that means probably a lot of wear -- like most of my other machines(!) I can adapt, so not a deal breaker. Oh, asking price is $1250, tho' I might possibly get it for a little less.

(BTW, I asked, and the tilt head is set strangely at 90 degrees because apparently there's an issue with it not locking. I'll have to find out more about that... will be looking at it on Saturday, so will post more then.)

I've attached a few pics below. Would very much appreciate any comments -- thanks!
Dave

Attachments

• 00C0C_SsVFJF31Vp_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
    00C0C_SsVFJF31Vp_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 391
  • 00707_7Ve676v2IQu_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
    00707_7Ve676v2IQu_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 372
  • 01616_b2z5ACd31OF_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
    01616_b2z5ACd31OF_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 401
  • 00L0L_iqtwQJkqzwN_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
    00L0L_iqtwQJkqzwN_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:
Some more pics...

Attachments

• 00c0c_7cQvHgIpCvB_0t20lM_1200x900.jpg
    00c0c_7cQvHgIpCvB_0t20lM_1200x900.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 167
  • 01616_klmsp2N5hhR_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
    01616_klmsp2N5hhR_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 179
  • 00L0L_jpMLqAAudd4_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
    00L0L_jpMLqAAudd4_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 170
  • 00M0M_bjl4EJeqpqI_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
    00M0M_bjl4EJeqpqI_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 182
  • 00m0m_ahXOSJ06t1M_0t20lM_1200x900.jpg
    00m0m_ahXOSJ06t1M_0t20lM_1200x900.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 181
I like it! I would get the price below $1k, since it is not usable as is, though.

Keep in mind that at that age, the spindle bearings will likely be in bad shape. Coincidentally, I'm rebuilding a M-head spindle at this moment, and while not complicated, it is a total PITB due to worn-out parts and an incredible buildup of junk inside the spindle housing from old oil and swarf.

Many of the parts for these heads are no longer available. I'm going to be making a new spindle housing nose cap as the original is totally shot.
P6100003.jpg

The other thing I'd be concerned about is the knuckle not clamping, that could be a cracked casting or stripped bolt.

Frankly, if you want a working machine, I'd keep looking for a J-head. For old-timeyness, well, a M is where it's at...

Ha-ha! Yep crazy is probly right, but I know you mean it in a good way!) :)

Thanks guys, I'm just keeping an open mind. I'd never have considered a machine this old, but frankly price is a consideration.
BTW, is there any truth to the idea this machine might be easier to move than a newer one? Also, footprint needed in the (small) shop is another issue.

CJD, I think it's running alright, though I might need to get a phase converter/VFD.

-cheers, and thanks for the feedback

260678bbdef9d6426adb4869f6a031ab.jpg
I traded this for a hunting knife
He cleaned it up pretty nicely. I think we were both happy
Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Still going to be around 1800 + lbs ,base the same as a a J head. Personally if it is not a 2J varispeed it does not live at my shop. No power down feed or back gear ,pass!

Wow, nice job! What type of motor and controller is that? If you've had the motor off, did you notice what length of shaft is needed?

(That must've been some kinda huntin' knife!)

Still going to be around 1800 + lbs ,base the same as a a J head. Personally if it is not a 2J varispeed it does not live at my shop. No power down feed or back gear ,pass!

I understand. I'm just not there yet (I'm taking the scenic route!)

1800 lbs total?

Yes, you are crazy.......

Disagree. He still had smarts enough to "ASK PM". That rules out BOTH of "crazy" and "stupid". Leaving unf**king BELEIVABLY... ignorant.

. of what an old "round ram" Bee Pee.. was never.

EG: any more resemblance to one of the many ACTUAL "milling machines" it was only ever about as much add-on "accessory" to as..

.. a set of clip-on supplemental rear-view mirrors were for making it SLIGHTLY less hazardous to tow a 40-foot sailboat on trailer behind a clapped-out ....Volkswagen "Beetle".

You think that is some kind of a dull, bad, ATTEMPT at a joke? Just go ahead. Buy the Bee Pee!

Vintage "collector's item?" So is my fossilized wrinkly ass!

Astonishing how many opportunists have wanted to take a chunk out of it - 75 years ... and still counting. Go figure what it was they expected to DO with the divots, had they succeeded?

So is a "collector's item" a far less painful 1938 vintage rusted tin can.... that once held a ration of REALLY dreadful Lima beans. Or SOCONY-Vacuum "Gargoyle" lubricating oil. "Empty" is "empty", either way.

"Milling machines exist"

Go ye forth and find one!

Thanks, thermite. That's right, I'm blissfully ignorant! (but not wilfully so). The journey begins here :)

So I take it that's a big 'no' from you on the relic?

Thanks, thermite. That's right, I'm blissfully ignorant! (but not wilfully so). The journey begins here :)

So I take it that's a big 'no' from you on the relic?

Let's just say ... I could have saved my OWN self money, wasted time, and grief NOT hauling home a Burke #4 horizontal. Which, tiny as it is, has easily double the metal-removal capability of any 2 MT round-ram "M" head Bee Pee.
Nor, with a more powerful motor and #9 B&S Tooling, does it give up much but table size and daylight to a dovetail-ram "1J" or 2J BirdPort. Both still limited as they are to the wimpy Are Ate nose-art.

The "real mill" bought later - for $500 ISTR? it's on PM, Abom79's threads - masses 5205 Avoir, naked.

- B&S #9 vertical, tad under 2 HP at present, may get an upgrade (the motor is here for years..)

- 40-taper 5 HP horizontal.

- 3/4 HP to the knee's power feeds & rapids gearbox, 1/2 HP juice pump.

There are PLENTY of used mills around in the 2J capability range and better, even if 2J themselves still pull a higher price.

Many have 40-taper nose-art.

That, right there - 40 taper - is a good "continental divide". Bottom-end of "serious" mills, (LATER BP's had such, CNC as well...). 40-taper / CAT / BT / Ericsson is so common it is actually cheap, too.

Bridgeport's main advantage is there are always parts of some kind- "replica's made new, included, and there is always somebody as wants one, so the prices hold-up VERY well. Less-popular mills may come at lower cost and even much lower WEAR, though.

Mind open. Eyes open. Wallet not, just yet.

Let your keyboard do the seeking first.

Its only crazy to do if you know its not what you want/need yet pay way too much for something you arent gonna be happy with. From what I can see, its worn on the Y axis and has a powerfeed that has been obsolete since probably before I was born (Servo 50, I believe that it).

I definitely agree that it is too much $$ for what you are getting, from what I can see.

Jon

Wow, nice job! What type of motor and controller is that? If you've had the motor off, did you notice what length of shaft is needed?

(That must've been some kinda huntin' knife!)

It was a Chinese job off eBay I’m not sure about motor I can ask him and the handle for the hunting axe I made
IMG]
]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200611/a107099254182b791a46442106bc7797.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a 1954 J-head and I love mine. I never need to hog metal so that's not an issue for me.
Easy to move by yourself disassembled with an engine hoist.
What's the serial number on "your" mill?

Good morning guys. I want to thank you all for your input -- the positive and encouraging as well as the negative and cautionary. I woke up this morning pretty clear-eyed, and I think I'm siding with thermite on this and holding off.

While I can't accomodate a 5000 lb mill, I've babied enough small and ancient machines to know what a PIA it is, and that, yes it would be crazy to keep doing that to myself. This old charmer of a BP I'm afraid will have to find a bushier-tailed benefactor.

My search will continue, with your help :)

Hope you all have a great day.

Back