What's new
What's new

Looking for bridgeport gear drive parts

Dicky

Plastic
I've searched the forum to some avail, but the threads were old, and I'm sure the parts are gone as well.... So if anyone has these parts I would be interested...

I recently picked up a mill, and after cleaning it up, it seems to run great, and everything is working except changing gears on the power feed...

Someone along the way broke stuff, and just fixed it by putting it in one gear. I'll post a picture later. But here is what I need...

Door with High/Low gear selector knob, the whole thing, mine is missing someone made a plate to go over it.

and these parts (blue arrow)

2019-04-23 10_21_45-Bridgeport Old Change Gear Feed Rebuild Questions....jpg2019-04-23 10_21_45-Bridgeport Old Change Gear Feed Rebuild Questions....jpg

Any help would be appreciated, I'm in the Detroit Area... Have scoured the internet with no luck.

Bridgeport Serial# 2792

Not sure, but I don't think parts are still available for those mechanical feed systems (definitely not castings). Your best bet will be to find another machine with the same set-up in a scrap yard and borrow the parts off of it.

Those feed systems work nice, but they've been largely made obsolete by the simpler servo systems. Worst case: replace it with a new servo and sell yours to someone with a complete unit that needs gears.

More interested in getting mine to work, even if I have to build the stuff... I doubt I'll even use it much... I've been a machinist for about 34 years, counting high school machine shop. Time on the other hand to do it... I'm never out of projects! LOL! Would just be easier to repair it. The mill needed a little love, but I have it up and running, even the feed unit, but it's just SLOW...

53769995_10155963454981746_4234062628223188992_n.jpg

You need all the parts that everyone needs. Shockingly, at a quick glance of our stash it looks like we might a few of the parts. I will look first thing tomorrow morning and see what all we have.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

It looks like we have all of the parts you are lookin for, even an entire handle assembly.

Here are some pics.

20190424_080337.jpg

20190424_080725.jpg

$150 for the handle.
$100 for the misc gears and shafts
$75 for the door plate.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

The speed selection mechanism is rather clunky and it is not hard to mess up the gears.
Probably the worst is when you do a shift with the feed motor on. Or when you turn the motor off to perform a shift but you don't wait long enough for the spin down.
In my experience it is better to treat the selector controls with gentle hands rather than forcing positions. Especially for the right/left lever.

I would buy the parts and be done with.

Back