What's new
What's new

Looking for Bridgeport Model E shaping head parts source

nc5a

Cast Iron
I recently bought a model E shaping head that required some work. A new pinion gear for stroke adjustment has been purchased from American Machine and Gear. Bearings and most of the seals from my local bearing supplier. However there is a large heavy duty Garlock seal that I can't seem to locate that has a reasonable lead time. Back in December of 21 the shipping date was Jan 15, 22 now the date has been changed to Feb 25. 22. I'm thinking delivery is going to keep being pushed back until I give up and cancel the order.

Does anyone know if rebuild kits exist for these shaping heads or where rebuild parts can be found?

Thanks in advance,
Ron

Not much public action on this post but I did get a hit privately. A member of this forum skilled in part numbers researched the Garlock seal for me and was able to cross it to a NAPA oil seal part # NOS 32397. As luck would have it the seal was available locally for about $41.00. It's not a NASA space program quality seal like the Garlock but dimensionally it's the same where it counts. The OD and ID are the same as the Garlock but the width of the NAPA seal is 0.060" thinner than the 0.500" Garlock. The other differences are the Garlock seal lip is ribbed and doesn't have a spring where as the NAPA (SKF) seal has a compression spring.

FYI, Parts are becoming hard to find for these heads so plan accordingly if you are rebuilding or repairing one. Also, before you buy, run the head through all the different stroke lengths. If it misses a beat, skips or makes a clicking sound it's very likely the stroke adjustment pinion gear is damaged. Mine was missing 7 of it's 13 teeth. Luckily the rest of the shaping head was in excellent condition and will be like new with new bearings, seals, wicks and belt when I'm done.

Back