What's new
What's new

Looking to buy... (1) Hardinge turret lathe --- HELP with what to look for...

WERDI

Plastic
Hello, to the info crew here on practical machinist.

Like the title says, I am looking at a few different machines to buy and wanted to know what to watch out for
(1) Hardinge Turret Lathe

Good:
it uses and comes with 4C collets
it comes with a few tool holders
it is (from my research on these) a DS59 or DV59 (not sure the model, as to why I am
posting)1946-1960 3 speed belt step pulley

Bad:
it is dirty with grime so difficult to see any mishaps or injuries to surfaces, however turret
revolves and engages into lock position
the pivoting collet closer holder on the end of headstock is broken where it pivots.. ? could
make new?

What do the fellow operators of this machine think about it? And what would you say to me to specifically look at when I return to its location for pick up.

Thanks to all who assist.
J.

"...it uses and comes with 4C collets...
it is (from my research on these) a DS59 or DV59 (not sure the model, as to why I am posting)1946-1960 3 speed belt step pulley..."

The 59 means 5C collets and 9" swing, so impossible with a 4C collet machine. Need pictures to tell more.

Larry

Apologies, I said it uses 4C but really no confirmation if it uses them, however it does come with a set of 4C.

Also, it does have a T slot in the bed way. But it is belt/pulley driven. Hope this helps.
Hardinge turret lathe 1.jpg

This is the only one i have until returning.

Thanks
J.

Return when you have the serial number from the headstock, found just above the bed. Here are a couple of examples. The 47 means 4C collet and 7" swing. The 59, as I said before, means 5C collets and 9" swing. They also made 37, 57 and 49 models. The rest of the number will tell the year it was built.

Larry

Hardinge BB s-n 47-22814.JPG Hardinge BB s-n 59-13980.JPG

Last edited:
L Vanice, thank you for pointing out where the serial number is and what to look for.
J.

Larry, the serial looks to be Hardinge #154473

Thanks
J.

A Hardinge serial number on this type of lathe from 1940 to 1960 has to be five digits and the two digit size code prefix is important..

A six digit number could be added by an owner.

Larry

Last edited:
Just to be aware this is a bit of a franken lathe. The headstock may be from an Elgin? And the turret is a more modern round head version. Many of these features are not undesireable - but I think there has been a bit of mix and match. Also the headstock has a threaded spindle I think.

Just to be aware this is a bit of a franken lathe. The headstock may be from an Elgin? And the turret is a more modern round head version. Many of these features are not undesireable - but I think there has been a bit of mix and match. Also the headstock has a threaded spindle I think.

Looks more Hardinge than Elgin from the fuzzy picture. Here is a Hardinge BB 49 headstock. Note the oil cup on the front and the threaded spindle (1 5/8-10), which was a popular option on the number 4 lathes.

Hardinge lathe 9"headstock Complete Splitbed Ser#49-22254 4C Id.2.085x10tpi | eBay

The turret was what Hardinge called a "mail order" replacement, where they adapted a new model replacement part ( 7" swing 1960 turret in this case) to fit an older (1940-1955 in this case) lathe.

Larry

A Hardinge serial number on this type of lathe from 1940 to 1960 has to be five digits and the two digit size code prefix is important..

A six digit number could be added by an owner.

Larry

This is exactly what I was thinking, as there is another tag regarding company name next to the Hardinge badge.
Thanks for all your help. I may pass on this unless it is something in my arsenal to be of big use for smaller simple items with higher production numbers...

J.

Thanks Jim for chiming in as well.

Found the serial number!!!

Larry (L. Vanice)
I actually went back to the machine and found the serial number myself.
*** Looking for a manual or parts breakdown of headstock and complete unit.

Thanks for your input so far by the way Larry

Back