What's new
What's new

Fitting a Newall Microsyn DRO to a Hardinge HLV-H ... Best methods explored

Jersey John

Stainless
Hi folk - firstly Happy New Year!

OK, having just fitted a Newall Microsyn 3 Axis DRO to my Deckel FP2 and been very impressed with it I now want to fit a Newall 2 Axis system to my HLV-H.

I really would like to mount the encoder and rail to the front rather than back but would really welcome your advice on mounting and any pictures of your installations would of course be appreciated :)

Thank you in anticipation

John :cheers:

Hi folk - firstly Happy New Year!

OK, having just fitted a Newall Microsyn 3 Axis DRO to my Deckel FP2 and been very impressed with it I now want to fit a Newall 2 Axis system to my HLV-H.

I really would like to mount the encoder and rail to the front rather than back but would really welcome your advice on mounting and any pictures of your installations would of course be appreciated :)

Thank you in anticipation

John :cheers:

I'd go 4 axis on the lathe, the newall DP1200 will do it. That way you can have a scale on the compound and tailstock as well. As long as you are going for it you may as well GO for it! I have a DRO on my compound and a digital caliper on my tailstock. Handy for sure

I'd go 4 axis on the lathe, the newall DP1200 will do it. That way you can have a scale on the compound and tailstock as well. As long as you are going for it you may as well GO for it! I have a DRO on my compound and a digital caliper on my tailstock. Handy for sure

Sounds interesting ... Like the tailstock idea, not sure about the compound.

Have you any pictures of your tailstock setup please?

Got me thinking:scratchchin:

John:typing:

Why mount it on the front and not the back? Aside from mounting issues if it is already against the wall, there is no added value from it being on the front.

Jon

I found the same thing. My lathe came with the readout already installed on the back. When I need to do taper turning I use either the SB or the Monarch.

Tom

Hmmm the HLVH we are rebuilding is in pieces so I cant look at it complete, but I believe that if you mounted it slightly lower than normal on the bed, the scale still shouldnt be an issue for the taper attachment.

Jon

Why mount it on the front and not the back? Aside from mounting issues if it is already against the wall, there is no added value from it being on the front.

Jon

Because the carriage is driven from the front, via rack and pinion,
the carriage will always "crab" to some extent. This from the adjusted
gib clearance and for sure when some bed wear develops.
This "crab" skewing movement is magnified at the rear of the carriage
and less at the front (the driven end). Best to mount the linear encoder
at the front of the lathe bed where the force to attain motion is applied,
and "crabbing" has a much reduced effect.

-Doozer

I have a Feeler lathe, a copy of the Hardinge HLV-H. I mounted a magnetic scale DRO which I could cut to size on the front of the lathe about 1 1/2" below the front of the carriage apron. It is completely out of the way and I am able to still use my taper attachment mounted on the rear of the bed.

When Hardinge sold an HLV-H with a DRO, they mounted it on the front. You may want to spot-face a couple of mounting pads to secure the scale. As already stated, the rear had the T-nut slot to mount accessories. If you have no accessories, then you might want to use that nice, machined, T-Slot for your scale, I did!

Here's a short video which includes a short discussion of DRO scale placement on an HLV-H to minimize Abbe error. Also includes thoughtful discussion of ways to protect lathe ways. DRO portion starts about 6:00 YouTube

When Hardinge sold an HLV-H with a DRO, they mounted it on the front. You may want to spot-face a couple of mounting pads to secure the scale. As already stated, the rear had the T-nut slot to mount accessories. If you have no accessories, then you might want to use that nice, machined, T-Slot for your scale, I did!

Hi Jim - Must confess I completely forgot about the T-Slot, a timely reminder, thanks :D

John:cheers:

Back