What's new
What's new

M-head quill speed handle

leeko

Stainless
Hi all

I ordered a quill speed handle for my m-head, one of these:
All Industrial 41070 | Quill Feed Speed Handle for Bridgeport Milling Machine - All Industrial Tool Supply

I installed it on the mill last night, and it fits great. I do have a problem in it's use, though; when I pull the handle back, the pin disengages and I should be able to rotate the handle freely without moving the quill. It doesn't do that, though. On my m-head, the quill is very free-moving, there's little resistance in either direction. As a result, the quill tends to move even if the pin isn't engaged. This happens even with the set screw on the handle backed way off (so it can be uninstalled)

The only way I've found to stop it from happening is to snug up the quill fine feed clutch knob on the other side of the head, so the quill has more resistance. But, that requires two hands, which defeats the purpose of the speed handle, and I'd be worried about wearing out the clutch. Is there a better way?

Should I be filing or sanding the inside of the handle so it has a sloppier fit? The original handle had similar issues, which I actually attributed to wear/sloppiness in the fit, so I'm hesitant to make this one the same!

Any suggestions are very welcome, thanks

Lee

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

How's the clock spring for the quill? If it's broken, fix or replace it. You can also play with the amount of pre-load to see if that helps. Other than that, leave some drag on the quill lock at all times to see if that works for you.

Good luck,
Ted

The clock spring seems about right - it stays put wherever I leave it. I think increasing the spring load would have the opposite effect than what I want, at least in the"up"direction

I'll play around with the quill lock, thanks

I bought one of those handles for my J head. I love them and that's all we used when I worked in the tool room. I think you'll find they will break in after some use. The one I bought recently was pretty stiff when I first got it and would raise my quill some when repositioning it. But now after some use it works a lot better.

Ted

Thanks Ted, I hope so - the idea seems great :)

I was thinking about applying some oil between the handle and the mount stub - any reason not to?

I never liked those ratcheting handles. I made a spider handle for mine. Super easy to make and with 3 handles one was always where it was needed. it also allowed for continuous pressure to be applied, no stopping to readjust the handle position.

Thanks Doozer, and I find that it works really well. Agreed on the new fangled ones. This old wheel was made in the same era ( late 1970's ) as the mill, and looks like it belongs there. But, it's the function I really like. Much prefer it over the factory.

Tractor Supply and Ag Supply sell steering wheels that look just like these
I believe intended to fit Farmall Cub tractors.

-D

Back