What's new
What's new

Metering Units on MDI Bridgeport (R2E3)

Grippn

Plastic
Hey All,

I was hoping to get some knowledge about the metering unit's on the Series 1 MDI Bridgeport, which I think is the same machine as a R2E3 just without the controls attached to the head. The automatic oiler is a Bijur TM-5 and all the metered fittings are FJB's. I'm looking to replace all the metering units because most of them seem to be clogged on my mill. It sat for a while before I got it. Anyway I would like to order them before I start taking the table and head part. Do any of you know how many there are on this mill, what their locations are, and what their flow rates are? Here's what I've recorded so far:

General LocationLocationFitting
Lower back rigth sideFirst 3-way manifold after the pump going to head3/0
KneeLeft Knee Way3/0
KneeRight Knee Way3/0

I'm also confused as to how I'm going to get into the upper head of the mill. There seems to be a one or two metered fittings in there and I don't know how I would get in there with out taking apart the whole head. The metered fittings in there are referenced in the R2E3 maintenance guide, which is covered in the Quill Drive Belt removal section. The procedure recommends taking the head off with a special tool which is a problem in my garage because I don't have enough head room to get a hoist in. You can read more about the procedure here on page 110 section 11.3.5. Attached is a photo of the head from the R2E3 maintenance guide and one of my mill with the right quill cover off.

20180502_210404.jpg

HeadFinal.jpg

The pix you posted, there is a metering unit on the bottom of the manifold that you have taken the lube line out of the top port.
It is hidden in the photo behind the black lines.

Bill

The pix you posted, there is a metering unit on the bottom of the manifold that you have taken the lube line out of the top port.
It is hidden in the photo behind the black lines.

Bill

Thanks Bill,

I forgot to make note that one in my original post. That fitting is going to what I think is called the lower ball quill extension and is a 00 flow rate. Now I need to figure out what the flow rates are for the ones at the T manifold in the upper head. There at the number 63 T manifold in the linked drawing of the head. I'm not sure how I'm gonna even get to them. I'm probably going to have to completely disassemble the head from the top down.

Head Drawing: https://i.imgur.com/L1K0ZnA.png

General LocationLocationFitting
Lower back rigth sideFirst 3-way manifold after the pump going to head3/0
KneeLeft Knee Way3/0
KneeRight Knee Way3/0
Lower HeadComing out of the manifold going to the lower part of the ball quill extension00

Back