What's new
What's new

Mill repair service near me?

Gos

Aluminum
One of these days,,, I'd sure like to get the base of my Bridgeport Mill reworked.
While I can find such services on line, shipping is a bugger.
Does anyone know of a shop that reworks mills in the Western Washington / Oregon area?
Thanks in advance.

Depending on what work is needed, you may be better off just buying a better machine. But what work IS needed? Some wear on the ways, cracked castings, ?? Knowing what needs fixing and what your budget is will help with advice.

Try Lindmark Machine Works in Seattle; they rebuild lathes and milling machines. I was very pleased with the work they did on my lathe bed and carriage last year.
Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The head is great and tight, but the ways and leads crews are just awful, and can't be adjusted out. Super sloppy in the center of travel, tight at the end of travel.

The head is great and tight, but the ways and leads crews are just awful, and can't be adjusted out. Super sloppy in the center of travel, tight at the end of travel.

That sounds like something that can be fixed with replacement of the screws and nuts (or just the nuts if the screws aren't too worn), and the slack in the ways could be scraped back.

But again, how much do you want to spend? If you've got money to throw around, find a scraping hand in your area. If you're skint, there's a lot of resources here for learning scraping.

Wear pattern is not unusual. Relative balance is odd.

By the time ANY of the knee parts are that worn, one or more of the wearing parts of the head (there are many..) is usually far worse if they have not been corrected.

D'you have indications that it has had a prior partial rebuild, perchance?

Might not need all that much to gain significant improvement.

It's 1962 original.
I replaced the head a couple of years back, but the base and table are original.
Prior to me, it was used as an anvil at a state school for three armed blacksmiths who wanted to learn to be a machinist. At least, that's what the table looks like.

"Try Lindmark Machine Works in Seattle; they rebuild lathes and milling machines. I was very pleased with the work they did on my lathe bed and carriage last year.
Dave"

Sent an email.
Thanks.

Solutions from cheapest to most expensive.
Buy a decent used machine. If your head is better move it then sell your machine.
Buy a brand new quality mill made in Taiwan
Rebuild your machine
Buy a new BP from Hardinge (which as I recall is also made in Taiwan).

Shipping your mill anywhere in the US will be cheap compared to the actual rebuild.

Back