What's new
What's new

J-Head: GREASE MOTOR TWICE YEARLY. Cool. How?

DirtEmpire

Plastic
I bought an approximately 1959 J head from the original owner a few weeks ago. I even received the original manual (dated 1957) with a note (dated '59) from Bridgeport to the company I bought it from indicating this was their manual that was not shipped with the machine.

So when I had the motor cover off to wire up the VFD, I wanted to grease the motor per the instructions on the plate. ...but I didn't see anything obvious on the motor so I searched the internet for a while but didn't find anything useful. I searched this forum and found people asking about general lubrication (points mentioned in the manual) and other heads, or rebuilds of pancake motors. But that the motor cover indicates this should happen twice a year, I assume there's a fitting to pump grease into. The only thing that looks plausible is a hole right on top of the motor (under the cover) in the shaft. It could be a needle fitting but it's pretty big. Before I go putting grease into random locations, I thought I'd ask if someone knew off the top of their head. (And in case you're wondering, the manual definitely does have a lubrication section but does not mention the motor.)

20190829_092513.jpg

There is a plug just under the belt housing on the left side of the head that has to be removed and you "squeeze in" some Lubriplate 105 grease. You can purchase this grease in 1.75 oz tubes which work out pretty well. As far as I know, the motor bearings are sealed and need no lubrication. You can download a PDF copy of the manual here: http://bluechipmachineshop.com/bc_b...dgeport-series-1-milling-machine-full-manual/

Ted

There is a plug just under the belt housing on the left side of the head that has to be removed and you "squeeze in" some Lubriplate 105 grease. You can purchase this grease in 1.75 oz tubes which work out pretty well. As far as I know, the motor bearings are sealed and need no lubrication. You can download a PDF copy of the manual here: http://bluechipmachineshop.com/bc_b...dgeport-series-1-milling-machine-full-manual/

Ted

I think if I had a 2J head this probably would have answered my question. But I've got the original manual and it's pretty specific about when the motor bearings should be serviced. ...just not where. It's pretty vague on the where part. See attached from original 1957 manual:

Lubrication Diagram (The Lubrication section only says to refer to the diagram):
20190920_093252.jpg
Yep, that's the motor. Sort of. Generally under that tin.

Starboard:
20190920_092825.jpg
Port:
20190920_092805.jpg
That hole directly under the motor is plausible although it looks a bit like a rollpin.

I had the cover off And there's a hole dead center in the motor shaft. It looks more like the shaft might have just been center drilled to me though. I could just start pumping grease, or take the thing apart to find out for sure but I had hoped someone here might be able to easily answer the question.

*edit* Oops. This was supposed to be in response to my next post that's waiting on approval. I'm referring to my 1957 manual not the PDF from 2003.

Also, interesting. This manual calls for using grease on the ways "As required". I did not realize that was ever a specified procedure.

*edit* Oops. This was supposed to be in response to my next post that's waiting on approval. I'm referring to my 1957 manual not the PDF from 2003.

Also, interesting. This manual calls for using grease on the ways "As required". I did not realize that was ever a specified procedure.

Manufactures instructions to "grease ways" is a sore topic. IMO they learned it's a bad idea as most machines made in the last 30-40 years are all oiled per manufacturers instructions.

A mill that old has had a lot of opportunity to have had the bearings replaced in the motor. If the replacements are sealed and don't have metal shields with holes then your efforts will be for nothing. Better to open a side of the motor and check.

I was advised a long time ago that sealed are better in a motor. The metal shield or open arrangement is open to atmosphere contamination.

A mill that old has had a lot of opportunity to have had the bearings replaced in the motor. If the replacements are sealed and don't have metal shields with holes then your efforts will be for nothing. Better to open a side of the motor and check.

I was advised a long time ago that sealed are better in a motor. The metal shield or open arrangement is open to atmosphere contamination.

I had a post with pictures of the head and the original manual but it looks like something went wrong. It does not appear to me that there's anything to remove on the outside of the housing. The manual just points at the motor cover but both the machine and the manual are pretty clear: the motor is supposed to be greased every six months. At this point I'm curious where that is (or was) supposed to happen. I'll probably be taking it apart if no one knows; if the original bearings are good I don't want to be the one who killed them.

Back