What's new
What's new

Mitutoyo Digimatic DRO

Roundram47

Plastic
Just received an e-bay "deal"-a Mitutoyo Digimatic DRO with 13" and 30" scales. Seller said up front that system didn't work, but I took a chance. The unit arrived and looked to be almost unused (scales very clean and no wear on the display face or control buttons).

Display unit (p/n 982-573) shows error (E3) in both X and Y when scales are NOT plugged in. When I plug in both scales and turn on again, same error is displayed. Talked to Mitutoyo Service(Miguel) and he recommended cleaning scales with cotton swabs and alchohol. Did this...no change. I carefully dissasembled one scale. All looks very clean with spring in proper place, etc. Reassembled and tried again. No change (E3)

1) Is there any way of checking the scales without access to another display unit?

2) Is there anything that I can check with the display unit itself?

3) Does anyone have pinout information for the X and Y axes?

4) Any other ideas?

Bet the parts that take all the abuse are the cables running from the scales to the readout.
that's the first thing I would check out.

sorry didnt read the bit about not being plugged in.

Get on to Don he's good at this.

all the best...mark

Are you sure the scales go with that display? I have a "more economical" Mitutoyo unit that uses capacitance scales. Perhaps the wrong type got put together.

My unit is a 982-537A and I notice yours is a 982-573. I don't suppose you transposed a couple digits, did you? For mine, the E3 code is a bad cable connection or bad cable and says to test for electrical interference. It says the "other axis" may still be used, so whatever the problem, it is affecting both axis/scales. So, either 2 bad scales/cables or wrong part # scales. If you need me to, I can look in the shop for part #'s on my scales.

OK, just checked my longest scale. The part # is C22294, the "C" just may stand for capacitance?

Oops...yes I did transpose digits...unit is -537A. Scales are capacitance-type and match part numbers for digimatic DRO in 2000 Mitutoyo catalog.

The scales look almost unused as well as the display. Cables are in mint condition. I checked continuity (with meter) between X and Y connector pinouts on display circuit board and traces on board to find any cold solder joints. All checked out fine.

I'm going to be unavailabe for a couple of days, but when I get back perhaps we can discuss some way to get some of my parts together with some of yours for testing. Any chance you know someone with the same DRO in your local area? What part of CT are you in. My wife is from Avon and I graduated from CCSC in New Britain back in 1977.

I live in the New Haven area. I don't know of anybody local who has this unit. I'm pretty handy with electronics and have access to diagnostic tools (O-scope, etc.). Does anyone out there have a service manual or a schematic for this product?

I have the Owners/Operators manual, but it doesn't have anything to help your situation. If you'll cover shipping and insurance, I'll loan you either a scale or my display (unit is not currently installed). It seems like a hassle, but it is the only thing I can offer to help. You'd think there would be a Mitutoyo service center that could plug in a test gizmo and tell you instantly whether you have a scale or display problem. I'm betting on the display, or you got 2 bad scales there.

Hey Jim, not sure if your still out there, but wonder if I could borrow your power supply (wall wart) if I paid for shipping and ins ?? MY unit stopped working and my wal wart is only putting out 2.88 volts....so first step in trouble shoot I think is to get 5.0 volts to the unit.

Bill

I fixed mine :-). Some information for the sake of history and others who may have similar issues. I was neatening up the cables and wires and accidentally gave the readout box a sharp bump and then it did not work (I think now this was coincidence) ..anyway I checked the wall transformer output and it was just under 3 volts, 2.86 or so. Some other threads here (hard to search on PM but easier on google for some reason) came up with 5 volts.

Well a type L Radio shack adaptaplug

Enercell Adaptaplug L : Adaptaplugs | RadioShack.com

Is the proper 5mm x 2.5mm size, then I used one of these

Enercell Replacement Adaptaplug Socket : Adaptaplugs | RadioShack.com

Then found a 5.0 volt 850ma cell phone wall wart laying around the house...combined all of those and double-triple checked polarity, and plugged it in and my DRO now works again. Others have said that Mititoyo claims a regulated power supply is required, and if you want to go that way (and I will if I have issues from unregulated supply) then you can buy one here

5V, 4A REGULATED PLUG SUPPLY-MPJA, Inc.

If I were to use that one I think I would use an inline fuse to limit output to 500ma just in case.

You could also use this multi tap transformer from Radio Shack for an unregulated supply
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3875403

The Mititoyo OEM power supply is around $30 according to others.

the 5mm x 2.5mm plug is not an easy one to find just anywhere....then couple that with 5 volts (increasingly more common however)....good luck on find a pre made solution just laying around ;-).

The USB standards are rather confusing, but it looks to me as if you could power the DRO from a USB 2.0 port with the proper adapters from radio Shack as a trouble shooting step.

Bill

the 5mm x 2.5mm plug is not an easy one to find just anywhere....then couple that with 5 volts (increasingly more common however)....good luck on find a pre made solution just laying around ;-).
For reference, here's a suitable power supply from Mouser Electronics. Go to Mouser Electronics and search for 418-TR1505-12 which is a 5V output, 5.0x2.5mm regulated power supply with input from 100V to 240V.

Don't forget about the internal batteries (2 AA's) in these Mitutoyo DRO's. They hold data in case of a power failure. You have to take the front cover off to change them.

Ive been around the block with my Digimatic 982-537 aswell.

When I got my mill, the circuit board on the power feed was blown (2 traces blown off) and a resistor on the x and y axis scales was also blown. Someone did a number on this machine.

Anyways, that Radioshack multitap power supply listed above will work with the 982 537 DRO. It does not have a 5v setting, but the 4.5v setting works just fine.

The pins for these units are as follows.

Black 1, Yellow 2, Red 3, Green 4, Brown 5, Ground 7. Orange not used.

If you cant read that small, that is from right to left on the top row, and number 7 is second from right on the bottom row.

I got one of my scales working. So all I need is one good scale, or board from a scale to get up and running if anyone has one for sale. :)

Notice here on the bad scale, there is a small hole blown in the large black component. Also to the right of the right arrow, there is a blown resistor.
DSC01900.jpg

Dro

I have the Owners/Operators manual, but it doesn't have anything to help your situation. If you'll cover shipping and insurance, I'll loan you either a scale or my display (unit is not currently installed). It seems like a hassle, but it is the only thing I can offer to help. You'd think there would be a Mitutoyo service center that could plug in a test gizmo and tell you instantly whether you have a scale or display problem. I'm betting on the display, or you got 2 bad scales there.

I think this might be a long shot, not meaning to hijack your thread, but I have a VERY simular problem. I have a 982-537-1 on a BP mill. It's torn all apart, wires hanging from the scale's, readout is apart. No power supply. I tried getting the readout to come on by "building" a power supply, I had it putting out 5VDC to the DRO but it just had a blank look on it's face.

Here's my questions. How do the scales work? What "signals" do they put out across the range? I'm wondering if I can get another DRO readout to replace the one I have and just use the scales I have? Pinout for the scales? They are on a 9x42 BP. I'm in Eastern, NC. At some point I'll probably try to find all the parts again and start "following the voltage" as it comes into the unit to see if I can figure it out. Thanks for any help you can give.

Floyd.

Very old Thread but same Problem. I'd like to try a new Power Supply as mine has the same E 3 code as the above and has had the Batt light lit for years. Since the above Mouser part is no longer available and there are no more Radio Shacks anybody else have any luck with a power supply ?

Mitutoyo DRO Display 982-537-1 - I also have Error Code E3

Very old Thread but same Problem. I'd like to try a new Power Supply as mine has the same E 3 code as the above and has had the Batt light lit for years. Since the above Mouser part is no longer available and there are no more Radio Shacks anybody else have any luck with a power supply ?

I bought a small lathe and got it home today. It has the Mitutoyi DRO Display Model 982-537-1. I had to disconnect the display power and scale cables to transport the lathe. I reconnected and when I powered up the lathe and turned on the display I got error code E3 on both X and y axis readouts and the red "Batt" light is on. It only has one linear scale on the carriage travel and I tried that plugged into both the X and y axis inputs but no change - Still has E3 showing on both axis.

I talked to the previous owner and he said last time he got an error he just had to clean the linear scale to get it working. Will try that later today.

Assuming I can get it working I would like to get a copy of the manual for the Mitutoyo DRO display so I can learn how to set it up and use it. If anyone has an electronic copy that can send me that will be greatly appreciated.

I can send you an installation manual and an operation manual, but they're 11 megabytes each and too large to attach to this reply. If you can PM me an e-mail address I can send them to you or give you a link to lockbox if I have to send them that way.

Back