What's new
What's new

Mitutoyo DRO Help

ridgewaybodies

Plastic
Just picked up a BP clone and it's outfitted with a Mitutoyo 982-537-1 display and glass scales(I'm assuming).

First off, anyone have a manual that I can download or email to me? I cant find one. No luck on mitutoyo site and download links are dead.

Next, I want to remove the scales and clean them good. I am afraid of damaging them. What should I be careful with when taking them off and cleaning the reader and glass. I plan on using denatured alcohol. Not sure if I should attempt to remove rubber flaps to clean them since they might be delicate at their age.

So if I'm successful and cleaning everything, is there a particular way they need lined back up on the machine? Will they need calibrated in any way?

Any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I've never had to clean or remove scales before. 1587214859-picsay.jpg1587214307-picsay.jpg

I’m interested too in some documentation. I picked up this Sharp mill with the same DRO, everything seems to work fine but there’s a “battery” indicator on the lower left in the front of display.

Attachments

• 9DCA176D-E6E5-439A-B832-E7CDF39E40E3.jpg
    9DCA176D-E6E5-439A-B832-E7CDF39E40E3.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 126
  • 7EAAE2B3-145D-41A8-BD88-5515CA617E27.jpg
    7EAAE2B3-145D-41A8-BD88-5515CA617E27.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 97
I have the manuals for that readout. There is a pdf for the display and a pdf for the scales. If only a couple of folks want them, I will email them out as an attachment. Otherwise, I would like to find a place to upload them for others to get.

Guys, I just picked up a Comet with a Mitutoyo DRO on it. It came with paperwork showing installation and wiring diagrams. I have the A-Counter 164 and 529 Series AT2N/AT2FN installation of linear scale. I also have a single sheet (double-sided) for 059820 Kit (Linear scale bracket for Bridgeport Milling Machine 1) and the installation manual for 059811 (Machine Arm Kit for Bridgeport Milling Machine).

I just joined, so not sure if there is a post limit before I can start uploading pictures. Happy to scan whatever people need.

Uploads have a 19kb limit

The pdf's I have are about 1.5mb and 11mb. I tried to upload them, but they were not accepted due to size. I may try to resize them some other day.

Probably won't be able to put the shields back in if you take them out.
Tried it on an Accurite. The seals were shot anyway.
Do any of the readout companies sell the shields separate?

Dave

Just picked up a BP clone and it's outfitted with a Mitutoyo 982-537-1 display and glass scales(I'm assuming).

First off, anyone have a manual that I can download or email to me? I cant find one. No luck on mitutoyo site and download links are dead.

Next, I want to remove the scales and clean them good. I am afraid of damaging them. What should I be careful with when taking them off and cleaning the reader and glass. I plan on using denatured alcohol. Not sure if I should attempt to remove rubber flaps to clean them since they might be delicate at their age.

So if I'm successful and cleaning everything, is there a particular way they need lined back up on the machine? Will they need calibrated in any way?

Any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I've never had to clean or remove scales before. View attachment 285443View attachment 285444

Your assumption that they are glass scales is incorrect.
This DRO is exactly like a Mititoyo digital caliper.
Inside the reads heads is the same circuit board that
is inside their calipers. It even has the round cutout
for the caliper battery. The scales, like the caliper
are capacitive inference type. The board reads quadrature
from the encoder strips, which have alternating spacing
of copper traces. There are easy to take apart but dirt
should not impede operation. If it got wet from coolant
the precipitate left on the reader board will cause problems.
Alcohol makes a good cleaner.
When new, they come with plastic alignment guide blocks that
get inserted between the reader head and the encoder housing.
If you don't have these, make very sure that when you reinstall
the read head, that it does not rub anywhere. Alignment is
kinda critical to having it last and not rub away the circuit
board.

-Doozer

Probably won't be able to put the shields back in if you take them out.
Tried it on an Accurite. The seals were shot anyway.
Do any of the readout companies sell the shields separate?

Dave

The shields are plastic strips.
They slide into a slot into the extrusion.
Removing and installing them are no problem.

-D

the shields on the accurite are soft (rubber, Vinyl?) The ones on the old scales were near 40 years old and more rigid (plus missing chunks)than the new scales I put on the grinder.

I have a very old Mit on my tree mill at home. Never paid attention to the construction. I will check it out tomorrow.

The Batt light stays on mine also, must be for battery backup, I unplug it when not in use. Lightning precaution.

Dave

the battery light on means you have failed to check the battery inside the unit. When the light comes on it can be too late already and the battery has leaked all over potentially destroying the board.

So has anyone ever come up with a solution to replace the 573 series Mitutoyo readout box with something else compatible with the Mitutoyo scales. I have done a fair bit of surfing with threads failing to post a solution or even a conclusion if no solution.

Back