What's new
What's new

Motor starter overloads when switching to high speed Hardinge HLV

machine aviator

Plastic
I am finding that when I switch into high speed on my HLV, the internal breaker in my WEG motor starter trips. In looking at the wiring diagram, it appears that this action only switches the motor input leads. Does the higher speed take more power or a larger start-up surge? FYI, I have the motor starter in line because my phase inverter feeds both my Bridgeport mill and the lathe through a transfer switch. I understand it is somewhat redundant for the lathe as it has its own power-fail lock out. I could change the wiring to use the starter on only the mill, but I am concerned that the lathe motor may be iffy. Thoughts welcome.

Thanks

Dave

It does take a lot more current in high speed, also potensially three times the power. Do you start in low speed and then switch rapidly to high speed? That can help as the motor and lathe are already spinning when you go to the high speed.

Thanks for that information. I assumed as much, but never tried to move from low to high as suggested. That will be a good test.

Back