What's new
What's new

Moving A Bridgeport Series 1, 2 HP mill

sparky30_06

Plastic
So I've search on the best way to move a mill and seems there are 2 schools of thought and just wanted to see what you guys thinks.

I will be moving my mill almost 1200 miles, most likely on a trailer, no air ride.

So one way is to turn the head upside down.

The other way is to turn the head 90 degrees and place blocks between the head and the bed for support.

which way do you guys like and why.

Lower the C.O.G. as much as possible. Use a drop trailer.

unfortunately a drop trailer won't work, not only will I be moving my mill but also, surface grinder, lathe, horizontal mill, sand blast cabinet and several other large pieces. Basically my entire shop.

I just moved a small horizontal mill that weighs more than a series 1 brideport. I rented a tilting flatbed trailer and rolled the mill to the door on pipes. I used a 3 ton lever hoist and chains to pull it up on deck, took about an hr total. If I had a whole shop to move like that I would probably rent a forklift.

Take it off. The electric motor comes off very easy. Then if you put a 6" piece of 3/4" round stock in a 3/4" collet and clamp it in your vise, by removing four bolts you can use the table and knee to lower the entire head down low enough that one man can grab it and set it down. Then the machine is no longer top heavy and you can put the motor and head in the truck where it can stay dry for the trip in case of rain.

I moved my series 1 cnc from Rhode Island to Ft Lauderdale in February. I rented a U-Haul twin axle drop tailgate ramp style open trailer. I used a dyneema loop to a ratchet style chain fall and pulled the unit in on 3/8 round bar. worked great until the base was on the ramp then removed the round bar rollers and pulled the unit in across the steel bed. the loop was on the knee once placed in a position where 60% of the weight was forward of the mark, i used 2 ratchet straps to secure the machine. I checked security after the first mile, then after 20 miles then whenever i purchased fuel no issues at all. Hope this helps

Besides traveling on trailer, just moving it through shop, If you take the whole overarm off with the head you'll never tip over and face plant. I think its 4 bolts into the main column.

Someone experienced in moving machines + hydraulic drop deck trailer and a pallet jack, wood cribbing and heavy duty ratchet straps, ...

unfortunately a drop trailer won't work, not only will I be moving my mill but also, surface grinder, lathe, horizontal mill, sand blast cabinet and several other large pieces. Basically my entire shop.

That justifies the trip.

Why not just peddle the BirdPort locally - they are always in demand - then get a REAL vertical mill when you get set up at the new location? You have the horizontal mill to get you by while you scout a nicer vertical?

As-in "not a lot of vertical mills as are NOT 'nicer' than a BirdPort".

You wouldn't bother hauling a tin wastebasket, cold cuppa cawfee, a wore-out tootbrush, a South Bend lathe, or a Big Mac & fries meal-perfumed-grease-bag 1200 miles either, wuddja?

That justifies the trip.

Why not just peddle the BirdPort locally - they are always in demand - then get a REAL vertical mill when you get set up at the new location? You have the horizontal mill to get you by while you scout a nicer vertical?

You wouldn't bother hauling a tin wastebasket, cold cuppa cawfee, a wore-out tootbrush, a South Bend lathe, or a Big Mac & fries meal-perfumed-grease-bag 1200 miles either, wuddja?

Yes, Yes, I would. A SB H10 are hard to find in VG condition for a good price. They have their niche. Ditto on any Vertical mill. Also, he didn't say where he is moving to. Some places it is hard to find machinery. So, he might have to drive some mile to look at replacements.

That justifies the trip.

Always quick to run down Bridgeport's, what's your mill of choice? Does it really mater if you don't use it to make anything.

Always quick to run down Bridgeport's, what's your mill of choice? Does it really mater if you don't use it to make anything.

You just had to ask?

Not "running down" a BirdPort any more than running down cute 1932 Ford 3-window coupes or '57 Chevvy Bel-Aires.

Simply Rrecognizing it for what it IS.

"Series 1" he has. Weaker was earlier. Better came later.

And a BirdPort was STILL aimed at the economy-grade bottom-end of the overall market.

"Marketing hype".

As-in flaking and hard chrome ways ... yet leave the fool table only 75% as tall as it needed to be to not become a banana?

You know it. Get realistic about it.

IF.. I had to come out of retirement and kit-out a whole factory?
Value-for-money CNC or no budget approval.

BirdPort was last on that sort of list a VERY long time ago. If-ever-even at all.

I RAN a Cinncy Toolmaster, too, "back in the day".

It didn't LOOK any heavier-built than a BirdPort. And it was not.
It WORKED a damned sight BETTER, though!

Cinncy had just put more of the metal where it needed to be and less of the metal where it didn't do any damned good!

Other mills were and are not just stouter than BirdPorts.

They were better engineered the whole long journey.

And still are.

You just had to ask?

Not "running down" a BirdPort any more than running down cute 1932 Ford 3-window coupes or '57 Chevvy Bel-Aires.

And a BirdPort was STILL aimed at the economy-grade bottom-end of the overall market.

"Marketing hype".

As-in flaking and hard chrome ways ... yet leave the fool table only 75% as tall as it needed to be to not become a banana?

BirdPort was last on that sort of list a VERY long time ago. If-ever-even at all.

Cinncy had just put more of the metal where it needed to be and less of the metal where it didn't do any damned good!

And still are.

Hi,
Ooow...That HURT!

But, I don't have to run a Mill, all day...

To make a living!

LOVE my Bridgeport!!!

Attachments

• rrrtt6666.jpg
    rrrtt6666.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 64
Hi,
Ooow...That HURT!

But, I don't have to run a Mill, all day...

To make a living!

LOVE my Bridgeport!!!

Well, Hell...I liked dogs, too, back when we had a young kid for a dog to teach social graces of tribal fidelity to. No kids, a dog is out of an honest job.

Lots of hard-working El cheapo Dodge, Ford, Chevy, and imported vans delivering s**t all over America every hour of the day, too.

But that don't make 'em into a K-Wopper, Peterbilt, Cornbinder Diesel tractor, nor even a Dodge Cummins dually, does it?

So why TF do BirdPort serfs get all boasty-defensive about their favourite Boy Scout knife of a mill?

Swiss Oerlikon had a mill built for them by Italians.

Irony is the French "Huron" firm in turn had a mill built for them by .... Oerlikon!

Either one could reduce a BirdPort to nought but shavings as an ordinary tasking.

Might guess the lowest powered of several options mere 5 HP "Quartet" could do the same, 90-degrees off table axis so yah didn't even have to take the BirdPort apart first to put it onto the table. The all-angle head with 40-taper that came with it was made by "K&T" for one of their mills. So was the 7+ inch slotter.

I said the heavy bastid was complicated WEIRD.

That ain't the same as "useless".

Bridgeport are useful, too. Also overloaded far too damned often for their design limitations.

And then the very folks who have driven them into the ground moan about what sad condition all the used ones are in?

What did they THINK was going to happen yah mistake a 2 lb claw hammer for a 16 lb sledge hammer?

You just had to ask?

"Marketing hype".

And still are.

I have 2 Bridgeport's, a series 2 with power feed on all axis and a power drawbar and a V2Xt with a Centroid 3 axis control. These machines have fed my family for many years. I know what they will do and not do and plan my work accordingly. OK, back to the manual BP. I am making a pair of uprights for a double wishbone front suspension conversion. I like making parts for Porsche and BMW cars, they are expensive cars and that usually means the owners have plenty of money to spend making them faster than others. Gives them something to brag about to their buddy.

so back to my original question, head sideways or upside down, which is better for moving and traveling and why?

I have 2 Bridgeport's, a series 2 with power feed on all axis and a power drawbar and a V2Xt with a Centroid 3 axis control. These machines have fed my family for many years. I know what they will do and not do and plan my work accordingly. OK, back to the manual BP. I am making a pair of uprights for a double wishbone front suspension conversion. I like making parts for Porsche and BMW cars, they are expensive cars and that usually means the owners have plenty of money to spend making them faster than others. Gives them something to brag about to their buddy.

Hell will freeze solid before ever I own a THIRD BMW sedan.

Jaguar COULD cover the ground fast enough to put me up for a year and a day as a Felon in Virginia twice-over and then some.. ever I were to slip the leash and LET it

I dare not.

So it's a nice, safe, ride wth a TON of good grip at Daily Driver speeds, all-weather.

And ever-pragmatic Ford owned them at the time it was built. So even as a 2005 model year? I just buy the parts. Some are even common to ignorant "Transit" vans!

It has so far proven cheaper to keep in good nic than the same-year 2005 Chrysler Town & Country Touring .. about due for the crusher ,"as usual"... because.. I do NOT want a next owner's widow sueing me when the brake lines rot through, "as usual"!

Yes, We have a confiscatory-high Personal Property tax on newish vehicles.

The 2005 XJ8-L is still paying-up, even at an age old enough to have its own damned driving license and put me out of work!

The MOPAR is NO LONGER hit. Came out from under, age fifteen. Also NOT... "all aluminum", ergo RUSTS ... same as a Portia or a Beemer does!

:)

Ain't you GLAD you got docile no-backtalk Bridgeports instead of what I've had to work with?

People. Arrogant-stoopid Seniour Executives among the worst of all.

"P__ there's a limo outside to take you to IAD. These are one way First Class tickets to London. Your office in Miami I've already ordered sanitized. My staff will clear your flat and ship whatever is there."

"You can't do that! I don't report to you!"

"My orders now. Or the FBI in the morning."

"WTF ever gave you, Six, and those idiots at Langley the idea you could bid a secure private network for the Medellin Cartel as a money-spinner but not-only and operate out of the FBI's designated US-Domestic patch without their knowledge or involvement?"

"Fumble, Bumble, and Incompetent is not the same as deaf, dumb, and blind!"
"They are PISSED!"

He made the flight. And the connection onward. Not another word.

I was yet young then. I THINK all the players are safely dead.
Of old age.
If not violence?
Or of Corporate winding-up to bury too many skeletons in too many closets?

Never a dull moment...

:D

Hell will freeze solid before ever I own a THIRD BMW sedan.

Jaguar COULD cover the ground fast enough to put me up for a year and a day as a Felon in Virginia twice-over and then some.. ever I were to slip the leash and LET it

I dare not.

So it's a nice, safe, ride wth a TON of good grip at Daily Driver speeds, all-weather.

And ever-pragmatic Ford owned them at the time it was built. So even as a 2005 model year? I just buy the parts. Some are even common to ignorant "Transit" vans!

It has so far proven cheaper to keep in good nic than the same-year 2005 Chrysler Town & Country Touring .. about due for the crusher ,"as usual"... because.. I do NOT want a next owner's widow sueing me when the brake lines rot through, "as usual"!

Yes, We have a confiscatory-high Personal Property tax on newish vehicles.

The 2005 XJ8-L is still paying-up, even at an age old enough to have its own damned driving license and put me out of work!

The MOPAR is NO LONGER hit. Came out from under, age fifteen. Also NOT... "all aluminum", ergo RUSTS ... same as a Portia or a Beemer does!

:)

Ain't you GLAD you got docile no-backtalk Bridgeports instead of what I've had to work with?

People. Arrogant-stoopid Seniour Executives among the worst of all.

"P__ there's a limo outside to take you to IAD. These are one way First Class tickets to London. Your office in Miami I've already ordered sanitized. My staff will clear your flat and ship whatever is there."

"You can't do that! I don't report to you!"

"My orders now. Or the FBI in the morning."

"WTF ever gave you, Six, and those idiots at Langley the idea you could bid a secure private network for the Medellin Cartel as a money-spinner but not-only and operate out of the FBI's designated US-Domestic patch without their knowledge or involvement?"

"Fumble, Bumble, and Incompetent is not the same as deaf, dumb, and blind!"
"They are PISSED!"

He made the flight. And the connection onward. Not another word.

I was yet young then. I THINK all the players are safely dead.
Of old age.
If not violence?
Or of Corporate winding-up to bury too many skeletons in too many closets?

Never a dull moment...

:D

WTF does all this mumble have to do with the price of tea in china?

Back