What's new
What's new

Multifix Toolpost on HLV - 1/2" or 5/8" Shank?

acetech09

Plastic
Hi everyone. I want to get a multifix-style toolpost and am trying to size up the proper shank sizes for my new HLV.

The SPi catalog says that, for A-size toolposts, the min height between top of compound and spindle center is 1 1/8". This assumes a 3/4" shank tool.

The HLV spindle center height is just a hair over 1". So with a 5/8" shank, that's exactly at the limit of the spec if not a hair past it. With a 1/2" shank, there's some clearance.

Does anyone have experience with the holders to say if the 5/8" is too big? I don't have any 1/2" tools and would like to order some before my toolpost gets here, if needed.

Thanks!

I have a turret on my HLV-H and it uses 3/8 square shank tools. 1/2" is more than you need for a small precision lathe. 1/2" tools are very plentiful for Gang Tool machines, so availability is good. Inserts for 5/8 tools will probably be more costly and give you no benefit, unless you already have a pile of them they really will give you no better performance.

I use the A size with 1/2" square shank tools on my 12" Clausing lathe. I use the Hardinge QCTP on my Hardinge lathes. But I could use the A size with 1/2" tools on the Hardinge lathes. I modified my A cutoff holders to take bevelled 1/2" blades instead of the OEM 10 mm blades, which are overpriced. Here are pictures of an A tool post on my TFB-H with a1/2" cutter and with a 1/2" cutoff tool.

I would use 1/2" tool bits unless you have a bunch of 5/8" on hand.

Larry

DSC00008.jpg DSC00010.jpg

I use an A size on my HLV (no -H) and 5/8" tools put the holder just under the centre of the toolpost's range, whereas 1/2" ones put it just over the centre of the toolpost's range. Still plenty of space under the toolholder with the 5/8" ones.

I prefer the 5/8" tools for most uses.

The only tool that I have to pay attention with is my insert parting tool. That hangs below the compound's top. Normally it isn't an issue because it overhangs the end of the compound, but if I've got the compound swung around for threading, then the parting tool holder will hang up on the compound's top. One day I'll nake a new holder for the parting tool...

Back