What's new
What's new

My first vertical mill(Bridgeport)

JamesYanco

Plastic
My first vertical mill(Bridgeport) question on quill

Picked this Bridgeport mill up last weekend and finally had time to tinker with it. Any input/comments about mill is greatly appreciated. I did hotwire into the vfd on my SouthBend lathe, high/low speeds all seem to work well. I have started to order the few items that where missing along with its own vfd. One question I have so far, is the quill supposed to drift down on its own?

Attachments

• IMG_0258.jpg
    IMG_0258.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 610
Last edited:
Bridgeports and clone have a power quill feed, make sure it’s not engaged.
If that’s not what you are referring to, do you mean the weight of the quill causes it to lower?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It seems we are on a similar path. I pick up my 1970 Bridgeport (9x42) tomorrow. My South Bend 13 is up and running. My first Vertical Milling Machine has some binding in the quill and does not inch down on it's own.I haven't had a chance to get to know it yet but the first thing I will do is make sure all the lead screws, knee pinion gear and ways are clean, adjusted and properly lubed. The zert fittings have grease in them. I'll get to work on that as well. Lots of fun stuff!
Stay tuned, someone will be along. This forum has many very talented and intelligent members. Take some time to read through some of the threads. You will find many great resources!!
Have fun!
Jeff

James,
Please change the title of your thread to reflect the question that you are asking or I will lock it.

What is drift? Do you mean drop without doing anything? When the spindle is on?
Otherwise, you have a pre 70s, J head.
JR

When machine is off and power feed lever is engaged quill remains stationary also if quill lock is engaged. If power feed and quill lock are off, quill will slowly drop. As this is my first vertical mill I am not sure if this is normal or something all mills do.

Hi JR, serial number I came up with is 14654 which I believe to be 1952. I removed the clock spring assembly and when I did the end of the spring did not look like it was hooked on the shaft. I have a pic attached which shows what I am looking at for reference.

Almost seems like if I where able to hook the spring onto the shaft and rotate the clock spring housing it would possibly tight'en up? Clock spring is weak maybe?

Attachments

• IMG_0260.jpg
    IMG_0260.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 158
OK, you've got a round ram machine that somebody has put a J head on.

There should be a pin on the shaft that the spring hooks to. Reference page 3-5 of manual 450 (current).
JR

Back