My yard find Bridgeport tear down and clean up with plenty of photos - Page 9
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by M K View Post
    Sorry for the lack of updates, been very busy lately and been away for a short break but have I been making progress and I’m nearly there

Carrying on the story next back on was the saddle,

You can see I left the original inner casting red paint as although it’s still slightly dirty looking after cleaning it was still intact so I was happy to leave it

Attachment 229564

Attachment 229565

Attachment 229566
    It is a shame you didn't at a minimum scrape new flat bearing pockets on the shorter ways that are not exposed to the air. (ie) top and bottom of saddle, back of knee and the tapered gibs. Adding new oil pockets or 1/2 moon oil flake to eliminate what I am sure you will get, Stick Slip.

Cleaning and repairing the oil pump, new metering units and tube looks good, but doing that and not following that with new oil pockets is a shame.

The flat worn ways will start to get sticky and eventually start to score up because the oil will not spread out evenly of the oil grooves. It is nice to see you doing everything well, but you not at least a minimum amount of effort and leaning as Ballen did to scrape new lower oil pockets so the oil will adhere and spread evenly on the ways. Ballen learned over the internet from members here on Practical Machinist.

You can see how he learned starting around post 65.
    http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...-1960s-343863/

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the kind comments

Glad you are all enjoying the thread
    Yes, actually. Good to see common sense applied where what needs fixed, gets fixed, and not a lot of work-for-the-sake-of-work wasted side trips chased.

Well done!

Another question I have is regarding something I see on all other Bridgeport’s with or without powerfeeds, it is a flat bar bolted to some round piecesand t bolts that go in the front T slot? I don’t have the bar on mine but donhave the bolts and round pieces but never known what they were for?
    Jon nailed it. Most mills have these, but there seems to be a rule that whenever a mill is sold, the previous owner is supposed to have already lost the hardware!

Not hard to make your own. A BP you even have a fair chance of of finding the bits on eBay, the mills were so numerous. My Burke #4 not so much, the Quartet no fine chance atall, those are so rare.

As far as the dreaded "stick slip" goes? Just don't tell the mill it is supposed to exhibit it, and it may never even know the "shame" of it.

Otherwise, trust the experts on AVOIDING it, rather than those who cultivate and distribute it:

Constipation - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic

3. Likes M K liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the kind comments

Glad you are all enjoying the thread

JR - thanks for confirming the oiler spring, I had another look and I thought the spring I had was snapped but although a bit at the end was snapped there was a bit left and the spring diameter changes at one end and it screws into the opposite end like a helicoil, so I re fitted it and filled the powerfeed with oil and same with the x axis feed, I just used a 75/90 gear oil

I havenít got the Y axis feed powered up yet as I am using 2 separate boards, 1 for each feed rather than the single board and changeover unit,

I have also dropped off the power feed rods and stops etc off to the players to be bright zinc plated so il post pictures once there back and fitted but for now hereís some pics of the oiler spring refitted

Attachment 230093

Attachment 230095

Attachment 230096

Another question I have is regarding something I see on all other Bridgeportís with or without powerfeeds, it is a flat bar bolted to some round piecesand t bolts that go in the front T slot? I donít have the bar on mine but donhave the bolts and round pieces but never known what they were for?

Thanks
    Marc
    Marc,
    I have a power feed bar and mounting bracket I don't need, if you want to pay for shipping you can have it.
    Jon

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Richard

Thanks for the advice and I do agree that itís a shame I didnít do any work regards scraping the surfaces but to be honest I wouldnít of known where to start as until joining this forum Iíd never even heard of scraping as other than my own home hobby and private very basic turning and drilling jobs Iím not from an engineering or machining background at all, I just like old machines and for me this bridgeport was always going to be primarily a glorified drill press as I hardly ever need to mill anything but yet Iíve always wanted a Bridgeport to go with my lathe

I have done everything that I was capable of doing myself bring the machine back to a half decent usable condition but time was against me as I had a car due in for some work that I still have here and we have our first baby due in 9 weeks time so this needed to be back together and useable befor then,

In the future itís something Iíd like to have a go at when I have more spare time but I fear that wonít be for a while yet lol

Itís very easy to remove the table and even the knee so itís not out of the question to do it in the future

Thanks
    Marc

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    Marc,
    I have a power feed bar and mounting bracket I don't need, if you want to pay for shipping you can have it.
    Jon
    Hi Jon

Thanks for the offer but I have both my powerfeed bars and brackets etc thank you

I think what I am talking about is maybe for the manual hard stops, itís a flat bar that is attached to the front of the table just behind where the X axis powerfeed stop bar runs

Thanks
    Marc

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

we have our first baby due in 9 weeks time so this needed to be back together and useable befor then,

In the future it’s something I’d like to have a go at when I have more spare time but I fear that won’t be for a while yet lol
    Seems to take the average couple at least one more go, if not two, before they figure out what's causing those babies, and by then they have an enduring commitment. Could easily be fifteen years that BP has to serve, mostly just as is.

No fear. By most indications this mill had not been so much worked to death as ran out of enough work to work it at all. Not all that badly worn, somewhat neglected, rather.

Your own needs? Surely not three 8-hour shifts by 5 or 6 days, either. Lotta miles left in it for the price of decent lube and cleaning, IOW.

Wise to just use it and address the higher priorities in life, because "higher" they most certainly are and will remain.

Mills are "fungible goods", dead Iron, expendable, easily replaced.

Family, not so much. You had your priorities right. You will again.

8. Likes M K liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Based on what I could see in the pics MK posted, it looks like he has chromed ways and most of the flaking is still intact. Therefore, unless I missed something along the way, I don't think his machine necessarily needs a full re-scraping. Especially considering what he plans to use it for and his modest needs as a user. The advice I was given when refurbing my machine was to reassemble my mill and to use it. Then see what kind of tolerances it could hold. Then, depending on that outcome, consider options up to and including scraping. But from what I have seen on this thread? That mill will serve MK's needs perfectly after his very thorough and professional refurbishment.

10. Likes M K, HWElecRepair liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Maschine View Post
    Based on what I could see in the pics MK posted, it looks like he has chromed ways and most of the flaking is still intact. Therefore, unless I missed something along the way, I don't think his machine necessarily needs a full re-scraping. Especially considering what he plans to use it for and his modest needs as a user. The advice I was given when refurbing my machine was to reassemble my mill and to use it. Then see what kind of tolerances it could hold. Then, depending on that outcome, consider options up to and including scraping. But from what I have seen on this thread? That mill will serve MK's needs perfectly after his very thorough and professional refurbishment.
    A few hours of preventative maintenance of ways that a rookie could do is all I meant!

I observe and try to help not 2nd guess people who have issues. I love to help and not hinder like one in particular does.

I hope everyone see's I did not say it needed a complete scraping rebuild I said it needed new oil pockets in the shinny spots to advoid STICK SLIP. It is obvious the top of the saddle is ground or worn smooth as the oil grooves are worn so low they are missing in some area. post # 48, 143. a little can be seen in post 32 and 33. In the Ballen thread his machine looked good and tested good, but it had stick slip or some call it sticksion. It's like wringing 2 gage blocks together. In Ballens case just by adding new oil pockets and not re-scraping the whole machine he wrote the machine with the new oil pockets he hand scraped in eliminated the stick slip. Look at minute 2:10 on this video.
    What is Metal Scraping? - YouTube

That is what I meant for him to do. Pic's pn post 32 & 33 show 1/2 moon flaking on column and knee, That looks OK and it could be chromed on top of the knee, but the saddle does not looked scraped, just ground or worn. Normally oil grooves do not come and go like the photo's show. I do not know your credentials Maschine on scraping as you look like a rookie. I have been scraping for over machine tools and cut my teeth scraping Bridgeport's 50 years ago. The cost of hand scraping the shinny ground flat ways would be nothing accept the cost of making or buying a hand scraper and most machine shops have a grinder and one can buy cheap Chinese diamond wheels to sharpen the blades. Richard King - Handscraping.com

Here is another good one. Oh both shows are done by my students.
    Scraping basics - Scraping flat - Part 1 - YouTube

min 5 shows stick slip

12. Likes JRIowa liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Maschine View Post
    Fully agree!

It is refreshing to see people bringing common sense into the craft with them, no matter where they learned it, especially if they somehow "cheated" and learned it fast!

The more of that reasonable and rationale approach to "as much as it needs - and no MORE than that" , the better.

It was getting a mite scarce on the ground ..

Noli iniurias arrogantium pati

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Iowa
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

filled the powerfeed with oil and same with the x axis feed, I just used a 75/90 gear oil
    Do not use automotive type lubricants in machine tools. Automotive lubes have anti-wear chemicals in them that are not compatible with the copper alloys (brass and bronze) that are common in machine tools. I've done a lot of threads on this.
    JR

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi

Thanks for the replyís and comments,

Richard - I do agree itís a shame I didnít go into the scraping side of things but unfortunately as said time was against me on this at that time, and with the fact I have no idea what to do or how to do it it wasnít a case of adding another day to the build, Iíd of had to read up and learn/practice then do the work on the mill, Iím not saying itís not worth doing I just canít do it now but you never know, I may do it in future but with babydue in the next month or so itís not high on my to do list just now

Thanks
    Marc