What's new
What's new

Nantong mill

Charlesc

Aluminum
Not sure if this is a good place to post but please direct me if not.

Acquired a Nantong bridgeport mill. It's at the transport company this morning and I have to get it out of there.

Couple questions:

Can the head be rotated to lower the CG
Can it be slung from the arm and lifted off a trailer?
Would it be difficult to remove the head to make it lighter for lifting. I believe it weighs about 2200 lbs or more. My gantry is capable of that much but it would be better to reduce the weight (and height) by lifting in pieces.

TIA

Last edited:
Question 1 & 2: Yes, that is what I did.

Question 3: It can be done but when the head is rotated it may not be necessary. I didn't do this.

Thanks. The seller (business i bought it from) said it could be turned sideways (90 deg) to reduce shipping height but be nicer to rotate 180 deg for my rig. I don't need to worry about overall height on the trailer but feel more comfortable getting the CG lower.

Question 1 & 2: Yes, that is what I did.

Question 3: It can be done but when the head is rotated it may not be necessary. I didn't do this.

All done. Its inside. Lifted mill by slinging around the arm. About all I'd want to lift with my 1 1/2T chain hoist. Placed the mill on heavy flat irons and slid it in with a crow bar. Easy enough.

Not to equip and learn how to operate the machine.

I borrowed a device for moving the machine. A flat bar about 5" across and 1/2" thick. On the ends are wheels. In this case the bar was bent on each end.
Looks like a keyboard bracket character laying down. Wheel on each end so that the flat plate is just like 1/8" above ground.

So the bar is low to the floor and it is jacked into position under the center point of the base. Very easy to move and make any kind of turn into whatever space.

Exactly what I did.
061291738ee3e652785d835ee11ff2f6.jpg

Murf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back