What's new
What's new

Need advise on removing gearbox idler shaft Hardinge HLV-H

rickyroadrunner

Plastic
I'm trying to remove the gearbox idler shaft on a Hardinge HLV-H gearbox. The gearbox has been removed. I am using a Hardinge HLV-H Maintenance Manual that I found online. I will see if I can post a link to it at the end of this posting. On page 7 under removing headstock belt, step (F) Remove snap ring "N" figure 15. That was easy enough. Next is step (G) Turn push screw "O" clockwise to remove gear, shaft and bearing. Figure 17. This last step is the problem. I don't understand what they are referring to when they say "push screw". The illustration in the manual is not very clear. The center of the idler shaft is threaded. I found a bolt of the correct pitch and ran it in thinking perhaps it wound push the shaft out but that didn't work. Not to mention when it bottoms out it turns the 71 tooth gear. I was thinking perhaps a small slide hammer would pull the shaft out however I have great respect for this fine machine and don't want to break anything by my ignorance, so here I am asking for help. Thanks in advance!.....Rick.
And btw I have tried to find the answer on here by doing a search. I struck out but will continue to look tonight.

Hardinge HLV-H Maintenance Manual

Thanks Mark, the bolt I am using is long enough to push the shaft and gear out, if that is how it all goes together. However it eventually turns the 71 tooth gear. I don't see any safe way to hold the gear. If you look at the illustration in the manual I have linked in my initial question, the technician appears to be holding a scribe or something of that nature. No spanners or slide hammers. I don't want to aimlessly beat on it. My understanding is this is part of a headstock belt change, which from what I read is a real pain. Hope some of you could shed some light on this....Rick.

Back