What's new
What's new

Need help with 8F power feed speed control potentiometer

Gravydog

Plastic
I was given a Bridgeport 8F power feed unit that I want to refurbish and sell since I can't use it myself. It's in pretty good shape and included a 48" feed screw to mate with. So far the main issue is that the motor won't run until the speed dial reaches about 10 but the speed is fast and variable above that so I suspect the pot is the problem. I opened it up and it appears there is some fraying of the tiny wires that the movable contacts slide on as well as one of the sliding contacts is halfway worn/arced off so clearly I need to start by replacing the pot. The part number I have found is 038-0263 and they cost several times what a simple pot like that should cost! I have seen mention online that it is a 5k ohm non-linear pot. Upon very close examination I can see one section of windings which are very close together and another section where they are spaced much more widely apart (but equally) which would make it non-linear, basically two stages rather than gradual transition as I might expect. The part number on my pot (which looks likely to be original) is 1378916 which barely shows up on Google but one hit says it's a 10k linear? I am asking if anyone has further knowledge on this, or maybe you have substituted a generic pot on one? If so, how did it work out and what did you use? Thanks for any help on this.

Rob

(I have corresponded with Jon/HWElecRepair about this but I obviously am not comfortable with asking him about a substitute through his workplace since they sell the official ones)

Last edited:
We get asked all sorts of things, so please dont ever hesitate to ask. Especially in this case, because what we have on our website is not the proper price. The cost of the pots is being changed now to what it should be. Still might be more than what you wanna spend, but at least it will be right.

It might take a few days for the website to update, but I will email you about it.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

I can vouch for Jon and his company. They are very fair in their prices and the return you'll get from them whether you buy or not is priceless with the answers to questions about your BP or BP power feed.

Back