What's new
What's new

Need help with feed screw identification and reassembly

Solarbell

Aluminum
The 2J I got had the feed screws entirely disassembled when I received it, so I have no idea what went where when it was taken apart. I am hoping some of this stuff looks familiar to other people here that can give me some direction on the best way to reassemble the X-axis feed screw so it works properly. It was made in 1970, so I've already run into current parts not matching up. There is supposed to be a power drive on the X.

The feed screw has had one end modified, I believe it was to fit the power drive. There is an extension that gets pinned onto one end of the feed screw.

Here are some pictures before cleaning and reassembly, and then after installation:

IMG_4785.jpg
IMG_4787.jpg
IMG_4969.jpg

First thing. On the left side, the handle is too large for the shaft. It appears there is a bushing / sleeve that is approximately the correct ID , OD, and length, but the sleeve would allow the handle to move in/out and the sleeve appears to not old up well to the nut being tightened to it.

IMG_4967.jpg
IMG_4968.jpg

Is there a more correct way for this attachment? Do I have the wrong components somewhere?

Second thing. On the right side is the power drive. Since that side of the feed screw has been modified, the diameter of the shaft OD is different. Some additional sleeves are in place to get the various diameters to match. Where this get interesting is that there appears to be an OD spacer between the shoulder of the extension and where the bearing in the power feed drive sits, as all of the lengths of the parts lines up. However when that spacer is in place and everything is assembled, the gears of the drive do not line up and I can feel gear teeth skipping even without any shims. It appears to have possibly been run that way for a while before as I found one of the drive interface gears that was pretty worn.

IMG_4970.jpg
IMG_4971.jpg
IMG_4973.jpg

The power drive appears to be an older Align model, but I can't find any documentation for this specific case.

IMG_4974.jpg

Any thoughts on the best way to go?

First the handle ,that is a free spinning safety setup. normally a small spring to the table side of the handle to keep in disengaged. Personally I dislike then and disable them or convert back to original.
Second that power feed normally uses a needle roller bearing where the bushing is and that gear is shot!

First the handle ,that is a free spinning safety setup. normally a small spring to the table side of the handle to keep in disengaged.

Ahh, that totally makes sense. I'll have to think about which way I want to go.

Second that power feed normally uses a needle roller bearing where the bushing is and that gear is shot!

The roller bearing is still there. Those bushings go inside the original roller bearing to accommodate the smaller OD of the feed screw extension. Yes, very much shot.

Sounds like that mill was originally fitted with a Bridgeport power feed, when replacing with a Servo or Align style you have to use a extension shaft that you pin to the end of the lead screw.

Back