What's new
What's new

Need help to identify Hardinge lathe

Ehurst55

Plastic
Hi. I'm Erik. New here. Hoping someone can help me. I have a Hardinge lathe I got 15 years ago and I gave it to my grandpa, he was a lifelong machinist. He had it and used it for a while in his shop. He is in bad health now and gave the machine back to me. It has no identifying tags or plates on it. It didn't when I got it. The only thing I can find on it is wiring diagram number tf 8220. The chip tray measures 65-1/2" x 27". It is a collet lathe but he put a 3 jaw Chuck on it. I have the collet drawbar still. Can any if you experts help me identify this machine? Maybe ballpark an estimated value? I do want to sell it. I have no place to keep it where it will not be destroyed by humidity and rust. Which would be a tragedy. I can email pictures of it if someone wants to help. I do not see a way to upload pics here. But, like I said. I'm new and maybe I'm just missing it, or I'm not posting in the correct place? Thanks

If it helps, this machine appears to have been painted green originally.20210313_131933.jpg20210313_165710.jpg20210313_165806.jpg20210313_165629.jpg20210313_165659.jpg

Last edited:
All I need is some good pictures. You cannot initially post a picture in post #1 of a thread, but you can add up to five pictures to post #1 by editing it later. Or you can post a reply and include pictures.

Hover your cursor over the third icon from the right above the editing window. You will see the text "Insert Image" appear. The icon seems to be a tiny picture frame. Click on it and a small window will open that allows you to select a file from your computer's "Pictures" folder. then click on Upload files. Repeat for up to a total of five pictures per post.

Larry

All I need is some good pictures. You cannot initially post a picture in post #1 of a thread, but you can add up to five pictures to post #1 by editing it later. Or you can post a reply and include pictures.

Hover your cursor over the third icon from the right above the editing window. You will see the text "Insert Image" appear. The icon seems to be a tiny picture frame. Click on it and a small window will open that allows you to select a file from your computer's "Pictures" folder. then click on Upload files. Repeat for up to a total of five pictures per post.

Larry

Thanks for the info. I will post pics when I get back to a computer.

20210313_165638.jpg20210313_131944.jpg20210313_131916.jpg20210313_165821.jpg20210313_131949.jpg

Last edited:
This is a hardinge TFB machine, so-called because it turns, faces, and bores but does not thread.

Find the serial number and the attached chart will tell when it was built. I expect it will be between 1955 and 1960. The model had a complete redesign with many improvements in 1960 and the name was changed to TFB-H. The very similar model that cuts threads is the HLV.

Larry

Attachments

• HLV TFB.jpg
    HLV TFB.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 14

Back