What's new
What's new

Need help-old HCT

ECCOmachine

Plastic
Hi guys,

The spindle bearings in my old 3 speed HCT are done for, and I can't find anyone willing to take the spindle and replace them, hoping someone here can either point me in the right direction for that service, or at least bearing part numbers & sources. I haven't pressed the old bearings off yet, would rather have replacements in hand first. I'd really rather pay an expert to do it, but I can make the necessary fixtures and handle it myself if I must.

I cannot locate a serial # anywhere on this machine, but attached are some images I think will be helpful:

x0hEYXk.jpg

4kNqiEN.jpg

l1VlYdg.jpg

otCHPM3.jpg

D6tE73I.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help!

That is the old style HCT chucker hat was replaced in 1962 by the new style chucker. I have an original 1957 operator manual that is for your model. It describes operation, not repair. I do not have a parts list.

I find your bearing arrangement strange. The Hardinge ball bearing spindle lathe models with which I am familiar either have a pair of angular contact ball bearings at the collet end of the spindle and a radial ball bearing at the left end or one each angular contact ball bearing at each end. Your picture seems to show a single bearing at the collet end and a pair of bearings at the left end. I have to wonder if the bearings have been replaced before and rearranged somehow.

Spindle rebuilders will want the whole headstock, not just the spindle.

Larry

I find your bearing arrangement strange. The Hardinge ball bearing spindle lathe models with which I am familiar either have a pair of angular contact ball bearings at the collet end of the spindle and a radial ball bearing at the left end or one each angular contact ball bearing at each end. Your picture seems to show a single bearing at the collet end and a pair of bearings at the left end. I have to wonder if the bearings have been replaced before and rearranged somehow.

The front bearing also seems to be a double row. The whole assembly is retained by the front plate with three screws. There is a spanner nut on the back end, but it only holds the pulley on.

Spindle rebuilders will want the whole headstock, not just the spindle.

Larry

None of the outfits I've contacted so far want to deal with it, period. Seems they can't be bothered with anything unfamiliar or challenging even though their sites say "all manual machines". Just want to stick to gravy work, I guess.

I have a complete headstock from a later HC that I would sell for $200. It is ridiculously heavy, so the shipping would be a killer. I'm near Dayton, Ohio

I have a complete headstock from a later HC that I would sell for $200. It is ridiculously heavy, so the shipping would be a killer. I'm near Dayton, Ohio

I have considered this option.

What's the spindle nose? I'm pretty invested in 2-3/16 10 TPI.

Does it have the provisions for mounting the auto threader? This machine is useless to me without that. I have multiple other lathes, so this one has become a dedicated barrel threading & chambering machine due to the efficiency of threading with the AT and the advantages the turret has over a normal tool post for chambering work.

If you have not checked with SKF they may be worth a try. They did give me a bid on replacing the bearings on my HXL which is also old and not available any more. Your bearings are probably standard, but the present configuration may not be original and will try the rebuilder's ingenuity. Like Larry something about the bearing lay out does not look right to me.

Back