What's new
What's new

need info on Supermax 16 manual quill feed wheel and spindle locking lever

_boris_

Aluminum
I recently acquired Supermax 16 YCI, '89.

the fine manual downfeed quill wheel is gone. There is a manual pdf that I was able to find, it shows it. I looked online and I see a lot of mills for sale without it as well. Is that normal?

I'm not quiet certain how the mechanism operates, i.e. how to engage it. The manual references to a few things, but never specifies where they are located on the machine.

So this wheel, I can see that it goes over this protruding shaft and engages with the base with a pin. This same shaft also has ability to be pulled/pushed into three positions. Manual says that those are forward, neutral and revers. That makes little sense for a handwheel that could be turned in both directions (i.e. turn one way to down, opposite to up)

Would anyone be able to post pictures of the wheel? I can figure out dimensions, but not sure if it has some weird magical abilities with additional features on it, or is it just plain wheel. How is it retained on the machine?

The spindle locking lever is also missing. Would anyone be able to post pictures of one, especially what the surface that contacts the milling head looks like?

Also, there is a quill manual downfeed lever (like on a drill press) How is it retained on the machine, is it kept on or is it used when needed?

many thanks in advance!

99% of mill owners take that fine feed wheel off and never use it. If you insist to use pull or push the little knob on the shaft in or out for the direction you wish to feed. Then engage the power down feed lever and crank away. BP wheel is just under 6 " in dia. I think I have used mine 2-3 times in the last 10-12 years. Nothing at all special about the hand wheel ,if it fits the shaft and has the pin on the back side to engage the machine you got it covered.

The spindle locking lever is also missing. Would anyone be able to post pictures of one, especially what the surface that contacts the milling head looks like?

Also, there is a quill manual downfeed lever (like on a drill press) How is it retained on the machine, is it kept on or is it used when needed?

many thanks in advance!
hmmm, well I suppose if it's in the bridgeport forum then it must be a bridgeport copy.
I an not clear on if you are talking about a quill downfeed lever, or a quill lock.

in any case, All of them are for sale on ebay, I don't necessarily recommend cheap imports, but you can at least look at the pictures.

I made my own quill downfeed handle, because the hub was worn down about .002" from it's original size of one inch, so I made it undersize to match. It engages to the hub with a
3/16 pin. The single small pin acts as a safety fuse.

Is it the same as a 2J bridgeport?

I don't know for sure, but it looks a lot like I series Bridgeports with 2J heads, except more squarish.

99% of mill owners take that fine feed wheel off and never use it. If you insist to use pull or push the little knob on the shaft in or out for the direction you wish to feed. Then engage the power down feed lever and crank away. BP wheel is just under 6 " in dia. I think I have used mine 2-3 times in the last 10-12 years. Nothing at all special about the hand wheel ,if it fits the shaft and has the pin on the back side to engage the machine you got it covered.

I'm sorry if this a stupid question, but do you typically move the knee up to take a deeper cut?

hmmm, well I suppose if it's in the bridgeport forum then it must be a bridgeport copy.
I an not clear on if you are talking about a quill downfeed lever, or a quill lock.

in any case, All of them are for sale on ebay, I don't necessarily recommend cheap imports, but you can at least look at the pictures.

I made my own quill downfeed handle, because the hub was worn down about .002" from it's original size of one inch, so I made it undersize to match. It engages to the hub with a
3/16 pin. The single small pin acts as a safety fuse.

I got manual downfeed handle on the right side. What I need is the fine downfeed wheel on the left front of the head. It sounds like it's fairly simple part to make without special trickery.

Pretty easy to make one. I made this one from some 5/8" hot rolled plate I had in the scrap bin. Machined a hub and pressed it in. Works fine.

009.jpg

Ted

The fine feed wheel is pretty much useless as you lack any sense of feel trying to use it. You move the knee up or down using using the knee handle.

yeah, the main thing we do with the fine feed wheel is use it to "jig" when changing gears on the feed. Tho there are so MANY different ways to use the machine, it is probably useful for something.

yeah, the main thing we do with the fine feed wheel is use it to "jig" when changing gears on the feed. Tho there are so MANY different ways to use the machine, it is probably useful for something.

It is useful for the handle on it to leave a little ding on your forehead when bending over to have a closer look at what you are doing!

well, I still haven't made the part yet and doing just fine without it. Knee feed is excellent. I guess I now understand the wisdom why these feed wheels get lost.

Back