What's new
What's new

New Bridgeport and LOTS to learn!

Perry42985

Plastic
After vaguely searching for a milling machine for the last 5 years I just bought my first Bridgeport! Finally found the just what I was looking for at the right price point. It’s a Series 1, 2HP but it needs some love, been sitting a while. Has a Acurite VUE, an Align power feed, a Kurt vise, rotary table and a cabinet FULL of tooling. (Some for a mill and also tooling for a lathe and a huge boring machine that I don’t need) I’ve been ordering obvious parts that need replaced but can’t seem to find the correct faceplate that says “Series 1 - 2 HP” any suggestions where to find one?
Also there’s a lot of this tooling with 1” shafts, is there a way to run those with the R8 collet?
Thanks for the help and I’m sure I’ll have tons of questions in the future!

Depending on what the tools with 1" shaft are, and how much of the shaft you need to grip to hold them safely, there are 1" r8 collets, 1" end mill holders, and r8 to er40 chucks that will hold. A1" er40 collet.

Part : H&W Machine Repair & Rebuilding - Parts and Service for the Metalworking Industry

1" tooling is probably not for a BP. R-8 was designed with a maximum of 3/4". You can buy a 7/8 and a 1" collet, but it's a waste of time and money. The head is just not rigid enough.

Other than that, welcome aboard. Now, just get ready to spend way more money on tooling than you did your mill. When in doubt, ask here first. There are a lot of "gimicks" out there and tooling sets where you'll get stuff you don't need or stuff that you can do other ways for less.
JR

The 1" R8 collets are junk. No holding power whatsoever.

Strong enough to hold an indicator, but that's about it. Anything else, it's just going to suck out of the collet as soon as it starts cutting.

Use an end mill holder or ER32 collet chuck if you have to grab a 1" shank.

Back