What's new
What's new

New HLV-EM Owner...Super excited but I need help!

CaryC

Aluminum
I just picked this up and I plan on doing a complete rebuild. Luckily the last owner already put a lot of work into it...reground the bed, slides etc, and replaced a lot of things like the belts.

20210326_181201.jpg

There are two things that I can see are missing for sure...the motor for the power feed and the large gear.

By looking at the pic, can someone tell me what gears I am missing? I have the parts manual, but it is not that easy to identify what is needed.
20210326_133201.jpg

Also, there are two wires sticking out from behind the logo...no clue here.
20210326_135805.jpg

Also, if anyone has a power feed motor laying around let me know!

Thanks!

The power feed motors show up on eBay from time to time, who knows if they work though.... A frequent contributor here, Paul Opuda, has power feed motors and controls available. He posted about them recently.
Missing from the headstock is a microswitch and probably a few long screws. It’s to prevent you trying to start the lathe when the spindle lock is engaged.
Enjoy!

Paul can be found here:

hardingerepair.com
There’s also a Hardinge HLV-H Facebook group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The power feed motors show up on eBay from time to time, who knows if they work though.... A frequent contributor here, Paul Opuda, has power feed motors and controls available. He posted about them recently.
Missing from the headstock is a microswitch and probably a few long screws. It’s to prevent you trying to start the lathe when the spindle lock is engaged.
Enjoy!

Paul can be found here:

hardingerepair.com
There’s also a Hardinge HLV-H Facebook group.

Thank you for the information!

I am talking to Paul about the motor.

In the headstock I think I am also missing a large gear that goes on the keyed shaft to the right.

Also, there are two wires sticking out from behind the logo...no clue here.

That looks like the spindle lock interlock microswitch pocket (normally covered by a Hardinge badge)

There is a small stepped plunger (pno 1424) ,and a spring, that fits down from above and pushes onto a small micro switch (pno 10224) such that when the lock is engaged the switch is open and stops the machine running (you will need to connect the two wires together to get the lathe to run ( isolate them from the head stock as they are live at control voltage )

It wouldn't be difficult to make the plunger and the microswitch is (from memory ) standard part. (let me know if and Ill measure my parts)

Bill

Yes, Bill is of course correct about the missing Hardinge badge and the plunger. With any luck the switch actuating plunger is not lost since your spindle lock plunger is still in place.

I can't help with the gear information as I've not been into that part of mine in quite a while..., and it's an earlier model.

Yes, Bill is of course correct about the missing Hardinge badge and the plunger. With any luck the switch actuating plunger is not lost since your spindle lock plunger is still in place.

I can't help with the gear information as I've not been into that part of mine in quite a while..., and it's an earlier model.

Thank you for the feedback.

I found the microswitch on Hardinge...not too expensive. I got a bin of parts that I need to look through...I might have those parts.

Not to figure out the gearbox...

That looks like the spindle lock interlock microswitch pocket (normally covered by a Hardinge badge)

There is a small stepped plunger (pno 1424) ,and a spring, that fits down from above and pushes onto a small micro switch (pno 10224) such that when the lock is engaged the switch is open and stops the machine running (you will need to connect the two wires together to get the lathe to run ( isolate them from the head stock as they are live at control voltage )

It wouldn't be difficult to make the plunger and the microswitch is (from memory ) standard part. (let me know if and Ill measure my parts)

Bill

Thank you!

I found the plunger and switch on Hardinge...I need to look to see if I have those.

For al pitches you see on the tread chart you do not need any gears in that gearbox
You only need gears there for pitches not mentioned on that thread chart

Peter

Ok. I thought I needed at least one. In the pics that I have seen of other lathes there is a large gear on the keyed spline on the right.

So you think it would work as-is (For the threading on the chart)no other gears needed?

Thank you!

I found the plunger and switch on Hardinge...I need to look to see if I have those.

Just feel the upper horizontal surface of that cavity with the spindle lock engaged. I bet there's a little lump there that will retract when you disengage the spindle lock. I'm betting it's there and you won't have to make one. It may well need some cleaning and lubing though.

The good news is I have the microswitch and Pin.

Now I am just working on the feed motor...

Not long ago I put that switch back in my DV. There was a paper insulator wrapped around it. Maybe that’s in your pile of bits too?!

Back