What's new
What's new

New machine day Babin HLV-H

John Welden

Diamond
Babin rebuilds these machines to better than new. I highly recommend working with them if you get the chance. This is my favorite manual machine I've ever used.

We got the digital threading option. Very sweet.
2df105c4f2b07845e3871d30220adf4b.jpg

Full collet set
0e37517190142fbaaf8e651975fa0f0b.jpg

077cf5df362dfb58731173d16ae79201.jpg
436c6614d80871e8bfe80a98badcc6e4.jpg

Accupro grinder.
59dcbaaffd5926bbcba6cb14265dc112.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow John ... Aren't you the lucky one! ... it looks superb :drool5: ... what's the box at just in front of the gearbox and what DRO system is fitted.

ZMT here in England do a fantastic job too but I'd need to rob Fort Knox to pay for a rebuild!

Thanks for sharing!

John :cheers:

I don't see how you can even run a lathe in a shop that clean... hell can you even call that a shop. Beautiful lathe, I'm sure its a treat to run.

Very very nice. That machine in such a clean, well-lit shop; the stuff of dreams.

Have you had a chance to play with digital threading much? Does it lose timing if power is shut off? How does it behave for picking up/chasing threads?

What's the model for the grinder? I think I need to buy one.

Very very nice. That machine in such a clean, well-lit shop; the stuff of dreams.

Have you had a chance to play with digital threading much? Does it lose timing if power is shut off? How does it behave for picking up/chasing threads?

What's the model for the grinder? I think I need to buy one.

We haven't used the digital threading yet. I just haven't had time yet.

It's an accu-finish grinder
Accu-Finish | Sharpen • Make • Modify

Their little benchtop machine is fine if you don't want to spend a lot of money. They're really nice machines

We haven't used the digital threading yet. I just haven't had time yet.

It's an accu-finish grinder
Accu-Finish | Sharpen • Make • Modify

Their little benchtop machine is fine if you don't want to spend a lot of money. They're really nice machines

Got it, makes sense. I also notice I don't do a lot of thread chasing on small work, because it's usually cheaper and easier to just make a new part from scratch.

Thanks for the reference, I was coming up blank on google. Good to know you don't have to spring for the floor model.

Last question, what made you decide on Aloris over Multifix? Size compatibility, or did it just come down to what was available?

Last question, what made you decide on Aloris over Multifix? Size compatibility, or did it just come down to what was available?

We almost always use carbide insert tooling so there isn't really a need to move the angle of the tool holder around. Our engineers use this machine sometimes and I like to have it set up to be really easy to use. They can just drop in a cutter and go. Drop in a part off tool and it's already square to the work. There more variables I can take away, the better.

I think a lot of guys get the multifix because it looks cool and seems better. I guess it depends what you're doing, but for most guys it's not needed.

They are one town away from me. I've seen them on the internet and some pricing is available there. I wonder if Al is a distant relative. I think I've seen it all now J. W. enamored with a manual machine. :eek:

JR

We almost always use carbide insert tooling so there isn't really a need to move the angle of the tool holder around. Our engineers use this machine sometimes and I like to have it set up to be really easy to use. They can just drop in a cutter and go. Drop in a part off tool and it's already square to the work. There more variables I can take away, the better.

I think a lot of guys get the multifix because it looks cool and seems better. I guess it depends what you're doing, but for most guys it's not needed.

Understood, thanks.

Multifix is much more convenient for my work (95% done with carbide inserts), but I also don't share machinery with others. Aloris seems to be a better answer in your case.

Nice. They really should add one thing to that piece of work.

To protect the LCD screen from damage I would construct a clear plexiglass door that covers the display.
It would swing up and be held with a magnet when the touch screen is in use.

Its this system for threading
http://www.babinmachine.com/index.php?HLVELECLEAD

It has a Newall DRO

Does that amount to a "electronic lead screw" done well?

If so, The ELS is often given a hard time on the basis of "if you are going to all that trouble, just make a full on CNC". It would be quite a turn around if the "ugly step child" was the "must have" feature on the flag ship lathe.

Sometimes I miss my HLV-H, but mostly, The others have taken it's place and then some. It's still the machinist more than the machine ;-)

Nice looking tool there!

I'm kind of disappointed no one commented on our collet organizer rack. Come on dudes, that thing is sweet! :smoking:

Definitely is sweet. On the other hand, it's understandable if it gets overshadowed by the pictures of a fine example of one of the best toolroom lathes ever built.

But it is a pretty damn sweet collet rack.

Back