What's new
What's new

New to me HLV-h Inch Metric

alcro1998

Cast Iron
Hi, I have recently purchased an inch metric HLV-h and it has a couple things Id like to address before I start to use it.

1) The way wipers.

The way wipers are completely disintegrated and almost non existent. I think this is from it sitting a bit. I was wondering where to source new wipers for it as it seem like all the links on old post no longer exists.

2) The compound retract mechanism is broken.

The entire part with the lever and the part that the lever attaches to is sheared off. It would seem someone may have pulled to hard on it or hit it with something and snapped the bolt or whatever it goes into off. Are there replacement parts for this or is it something I will have to make myself? I have not torn into it too much to see how to works exactly. If anyone has pictures of the guts that would be awesome.

3) It is a 1979 does this mean it has the plastic under the saddle? Should I replace it if it does?

The bed has some grooving in it so I'd like to take the saddle off and clean out any gunk that is trapped before I do more unnecessary damage.

Thanks in advance!

054D0F50-F640-4EA6-903A-A2E1FF3B615C.jpg

Hi, I have recently purchased an inch metric HLV-h and it has a couple things Id like to address before I start to use it.

1) The way wipers.

The way wipers are completely disintegrated and almost non existent. I think this is from it sitting a bit. I was wondering where to source new wipers for it as it seem like all the links on old post no longer exists.

2) The compound retract mechanism is broken.

The entire part with the lever and the part that the lever attaches to is sheared off. It would seem someone may have pulled to hard on it or hit it with something and snapped the bolt or whatever it goes into off. Are there replacement parts for this or is it something I will have to make myself? I have not torn into it too much to see how to works exactly. If anyone has pictures of the guts that would be awesome.

3) It is a 1979 does this mean it has the plastic under the saddle? Should I replace it if it does?

The bed has some grooving in it so I'd like to take the saddle off and clean out any gunk that is trapped before I do more unnecessary damage.

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 320131

You can start here;

Service & Support | Hardinge

ShopHardinge

I may have way wipers, I will have to check?

Kevin

The picture in post #1 shows a compound dial for the common inch-only HLV-H lathe. The English-metric model has very complex dual dial mechanisms that are very different. Are you sure you have an HLV-EM? You should have the dual dials on all four cranks plus the English-metric controls and chart on the gear box.

You will not be pleased with the Hardinge repair part prices. Maybe an independent rebuilder shop would sell you some good used parts. Home - Hardinge Repair

My 1977 brochure on the HLV-EM says it has sheet Teflon between the carriage and bed. Here are some pictures from the brochure.

I have a compound retractor that is apart, so I will take some pictures when I get time. I think the retracting parts should be the same whether you have the English only or the EM.

Larry

DSC02722.jpg DSC02723.jpg DSC02724.jpg

The picture in post #1 shows a compound dial for the common inch-only HLV-H lathe. The English-metric model has very complex dual dial mechanisms that are very different. Are you sure you have an HLV-EM? You should have the dual dials on all four cranks plus the English-metric controls and chart on the gear box.

You will not be pleased with the Hardinge repair part prices. Maybe an independent rebuilder shop would sell you some good used parts. Home - Hardinge Repair

My 1977 brochure on the HLV-EM says it has sheet Teflon between the carriage and bed. Here are some pictures from the brochure.

I have a compound retractor that is apart, so I will take some pictures when I get time. I think the retracting parts should be the same whether you have the English only or the EM.

Larry

View attachment 320152 View attachment 320153 View attachment 320154

I am just about 2000% sure it’s an inch metric machine. I did not even notice the compound didn’t have the inch and metric dials. The other 3 dials are in fact the inch metric ones and it has the inch metric gear box. I wonder if the compound was replaced for some reason.

Thanks for all the help. Looks like I need to get the saddle off and give Hardinge a call when I get the chance! I am not much of a fan of the E/M dials either. They are cool but not of much use especially since DROs are so common now.

Back