What's new
What's new

new motor help

last rites

Plastic
says this needs a new motor, what is involved, does it have to be like the one on it now or any other motor, is this a j head, any other info please, dont know enough about them just by looking, thanks

lathee.jpg

The motors are special flange design, called a pancake. Yes, it is a J head, belt and pulley. Contact Jon at H&W Machinery, Home

He can advise you and if you need a replacement motor can probably send you one.

Also look at Ebay. Trouble with Ebay you are kind of shooting in the dark.

Tom

It's not going to be a big deal. A pan head motor replacement would involve little work. Alternative is to get the existing motor to a shop and see how much a repair would cost. A motor with mount holes like the one in the upper left corner would require a simple aluminium adapter plate.

motor case types - Google Search

I freaking hate the pancake motors. We have 2 replacements for the step pulley motors, one in 3ph and a single phase variant. I am linking them here.

I will be on a service call this morning, so if you call, dont ask for me cause I wont be in the shop.

3 Phase

Single Phase

Hope this helps.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

I freaking hate the pancake motors. We have 2 replacements for the step pulley motors, one in 3ph and a single phase variant. I am linking them here.

I will be on a service call this morning, so if you call, dont ask for me cause I wont be in the shop.

3 Phase

Single Phase

Hope this helps.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

You guys are better than I thought. You can take a single phase motor and convert it to three phase with a few brackets?

Three Phase Conversion Kit for 1 HP Bridgeport Motor

Tom

The motor pulley housing should have a lever on the right side just behind the belt guard. That lever allows the motor to rotate to loosen the belt. It is missing.

The is a lot of aluminium fins on the outside of the pan motor. Is that original?

You guys are better than I thought. You can take a single phase motor and convert it to three phase with a few brackets?

Three Phase Conversion Kit for 1 HP Bridgeport Motor

Tom

LOL! One suspects that is a website editing need?

BUT.. while a 3-P motor needs an RPC, VFD, or P-P to run off 1-P, it is true that a single-phase motor only needs two "hots" off a 3-P source, so yes indeed:

Brackets and pulley bore & broach and run she will do!

Lathe will appreciate 3-P smooth. Single-point tool, CONTINUOUS in the cut.

Mill? BFD. Most cutters have flutes or such. "Continuous" isn't there to begin with. Tool marks will be, regardless. Only real benny to 3-P is simpler and faster reversing.

When I was faced with this problem I took a normal, flange mounting metric framed 1.5 HP motor and extended the shaft. It fitted inside the old pancake flange and worked perfectly with a VFD.

Charles

IMG_0205.JPG

If that's a Brooke-Crompton, "normal" is a bit of a stretch!

:)

Wasn't a Brook Crompton but it was 90 frame sized B5 flange mounting metric motor. Standard kit made around the world and I'm sure that Brook Crompton make them in that size too.
The trick was in paying enough attention to what the late John Stevenson posted about repairing motor shafts to extend the shaft to fit a Bridgy pulley and keep it all concentric!

Charles

Wasn't a Brook Crompton but it was 90 frame sized B5 flange mounting metric motor. Standard kit made around the world and I'm sure that Brook Crompton make them in that size too.
The trick was in paying enough attention to what the late John Stevenson posted about repairing motor shafts to extend the shaft to fit a Bridgy pulley and keep it all concentric!

Charles

Yazz, But B-C would find a "niche" of some sort or other and be "different" in some detail.

:)

Looks a good solution!

We DO see ISO / IEC / Euro-Spec.. wotever.. motors even in the US. Used-but-good out of parted-out imports. Not many to our grid specs, but some.

Just for giggles, minutes ago I dragged a 2 HP 180 VDC Dinosaur Current Reliance RPM III over to where I could get chainfalls onto the loop, get a scale under it.

150 lbs, Avoir. That'll work on my Quartet - motor sits mid-ram, not on the head & spindle.

Your AC 3-P motor was what? 35 lbs? Or even less?

I'd suggest a write-up on it, fotos and such. Or links to such if you have already done that.

Worth copying.

Bill

Sorry Bill - It was a long time ago (2003/4) before mobile phones took pictures of everything.

The best I can do is point to a previous thread with John's wisdom. It's really simple if you take apart the motor, have a decent sized lathe and mig/tig. The rest is standard boring/turning/keyway slotting. The slotting may be hard if your only mill is out of action....

Bridgeport J head 1hp motor replacement -

The Home Shop Machinist & Machinist's Workshop Magazine's BBS

Charles

Back