What's new
What's new

On/Off Power Switch Linkage for Bridgeport Milling Machines

TwoWheeler

Aluminum
I'm looking for a little linkage kit that links to the on/off switch on the side of the head on a manual Bridgeport Vertical Mill. It allows you to move the switch down to near the side of the head where the quill feed is.

I know they make such a thing - I've seen them in other shops - but have no idea what they're called, so I don't know what to search for! "Bridgeport Switch Linkage" doesn't bring me anything....

I'm looking for a little linkage kit that links to the on/off switch on the side of the head on a manual Bridgeport Vertical Mill. It allows you to move the switch down to near the side of the head where the quill feed is.

I know they make such a thing - I've seen them in other shops - but have no idea what they're called, so I don't know what to search for! "Bridgeport Switch Linkage" doesn't bring me anything....

Dis ?
PN 1034-Vs E-Z Switch - Misc. Machine Accessories - Machine Accessories

There's a piece of stiff wire going to the switch, now. The biggest reason is that they insist on having the column spacers in all three machines, which makes the switch really hard to reach for a lot of people. (Myself included).

It's redneck and stupid, but also dangerous because the "off" position can be hard to find - it's really easy to overshoot "off" and hit "reverse", which is the LAST thing you want, when you're shutting the machine off in a hurry. The three of us who use the machine on a regular basis have "the knack" of using this cheesy setup, but we're not the only users.

Photo 1.jpg

Somewhere, my wife is in hysterics at that statement. (I HATE phones). But yeah, I'll have to stoop to that. :D

They have a counter....I've...wait for it...."Driven there" ..."parked my truck outfront"...
and "walked in"...to "speak with" a..."Real Person".

They have much more than what's on the website.

Amazing concept.

I'm pretty sure the HQT linkage is what I modified and installed on my Wells Index 40 years ago, for the same reason. Works great.

My mill came with a linkage like that. It can be made DIY by just figuring out a key angles and distances.
Anyway, I removed the stuff because there is no advantage to have a lever 12" lower.

Could you not just extend the wiring and move the existing switch lower? If you only need to go 4-5" you probably can shift it with the existing wiring. Doing a linkage setup seems way to complicated for something this simple

Mount a electrical box where it is convenient, relocate the drum switch in that box and run a cable to the motor box. much more secure than piece of wire that can be caught in the swarf with unintended results.

Tom

If you are still looking for this, I think I have the modified drum switch, linkage and lever from my J-Head BP. I added a VFD and a new control box and removed that original linkage/lever/switch from my mill a while ago. Send me a PM and I can go digging for it, I think I have a pretty good idea where I stored it...

--Zax

Could you not just extend the wiring and move the existing switch lower? If you only need to go 4-5" you probably can shift it with the existing wiring. Doing a linkage setup seems way to complicated for something this simple

This is exactly what I did on our Prototrak at work, it has a four inch riser and is larger than a Bridgeport series one......also moved the push buttons for the power draw bar to the same bracket!

Kevin

KIT? WTF? You have a milling machine, make a bracket to lower the switch. I have done it twice now and it is no big deal.

Back