Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default On/Off Power Switch Linkage for Bridgeport Milling Machines

I'm looking for a little linkage kit that links to the on/off switch on the side of the head on a manual Bridgeport Vertical Mill. It allows you to move the switch down to near the side of the head where the quill feed is.

I know they make such a thing - I've seen them in other shops - but have no idea what they're called, so I don't know what to search for! "Bridgeport Switch Linkage" doesn't bring me anything....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheeler View Post
    I'm looking for a little linkage kit that links to the on/off switch on the side of the head on a manual Bridgeport Vertical Mill. It allows you to move the switch down to near the side of the head where the quill feed is.

I know they make such a thing - I've seen them in other shops - but have no idea what they're called, so I don't know what to search for! "Bridgeport Switch Linkage" doesn't bring me anything....
    Dis ?
    PN 1034-Vs E-Z Switch - Misc. Machine Accessories - Machine Accessories

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Delta/rockwell jointers used a toggle switch that had a metal toggle with a hole drilled sideways at the end. A piece of stiff wire went up and had a knob up higher. It may have been for forward reverse?
    Most circuit breakers have that hole.
    Bill D

VINTAGE CUTLER HAMMER Switch Delta Rockwell Drill Press Band Saw Jointer Table - $39.95 | PicClick

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's exactly it, but this is in the description: (does Not Fit Step Pulley Head) It's only for 2J.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

That's exactly it, but this is in the description: (does Not Fit Step Pulley Head) It's only for 2J.
    Just call them on the PHONE....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There's a piece of stiff wire going to the switch, now. The biggest reason is that they insist on having the column spacers in all three machines, which makes the switch really hard to reach for a lot of people. (Myself included).

It's redneck and stupid, but also dangerous because the "off" position can be hard to find - it's really easy to overshoot "off" and hit "reverse", which is the LAST thing you want, when you're shutting the machine off in a hurry. The three of us who use the machine on a regular basis have "the knack" of using this cheesy setup, but we're not the only users.

photo-1.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Just call them on the PHONE....
    Somewhere, my wife is in hysterics at that statement. (I HATE phones). But yeah, I'll have to stoop to that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Replace the switch with a contactor and a remote switch or two to control the contactor.
    Bill D.

9. Likes TDegenhart, Illinoyance, Homebrewblob liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Somewhere, my wife is in hysterics at that statement. (I HATE phones). But yeah, I'll have to stoop to that.
    They have a counter....I've...wait for it...."Driven there" ..."parked my truck outfront"...
    and "walked in"...to "speak with" a..."Real Person".

They have much more than what's on the website.

Amazing concept.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm pretty sure the HQT linkage is what I modified and installed on my Wells Index 40 years ago, for the same reason. Works great.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My mill came with a linkage like that. It can be made DIY by just figuring out a key angles and distances.
    Anyway, I removed the stuff because there is no advantage to have a lever 12" lower.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rons View Post
    there is no advantage to have a lever 12" lower.
    There is on this machine because they insist on having the 4" column spacer in the machine.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Could you not just extend the wiring and move the existing switch lower? If you only need to go 4-5" you probably can shift it with the existing wiring. Doing a linkage setup seems way to complicated for something this simple

15. Likes bsg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mount a electrical box where it is convenient, relocate the drum switch in that box and run a cable to the motor box. much more secure than piece of wire that can be caught in the swarf with unintended results.

Tom

17. Likes Mr.M, digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Perfect. I've been wanting to move the swith down as it's becoming difficult for me to reach that high, so I ordered one last week This morning I get an e-mail from HQT; they are discontinued and they are refunding my credit card payment.

Dennis

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you are still looking for this, I think I have the modified drum switch, linkage and lever from my J-Head BP. I added a VFD and a new control box and removed that original linkage/lever/switch from my mill a while ago. Send me a PM and I can go digging for it, I think I have a pretty good idea where I stored it...

--Zax

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
    Could you not just extend the wiring and move the existing switch lower? If you only need to go 4-5" you probably can shift it with the existing wiring. Doing a linkage setup seems way to complicated for something this simple
    This is exactly what I did on our Prototrak at work, it has a four inch riser and is larger than a Bridgeport series one......also moved the push buttons for the power draw bar to the same bracket!

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

KIT? WTF? You have a milling machine, make a bracket to lower the switch. I have done it twice now and it is no big deal.