What's new
What's new

The one that goes home

indianamoon

Aluminum
IMG_0845.jpg

Well, the shop is closed and nearly emptied out. Finally had the time to work on a machine for me. I had bought this Bridgeport about 16 years ago from a customer who was downsizing their in house shop. Never ran it during that time. I knew that it was in pretty good condition, but it wasn't until I cleaned all of the grease and grime off it that I realized it is nearly new. Stuck on a new set of Newall digitals, changed out the metered orifices and way wipers, rebuilt the lube pump, adjusted up everything, and powdercoated the riser. I am sure that someone is going to get a real good machine when the kids empty out the garage....

IMG_0844.jpgIMG_0846.jpg

She sure is pretty. :drool5: Real nice cross side table too, I just got one exactly like it in about the same condition as your mill - all greased up and in cherry condition. Screws have about .002" backlash. Love those Advance tables.

I always wondered - is there anything special about knee mill riser blocks? Need one for my Wells Index, was thinking about just making one with some old heavy tubing laying around.

I like the double locks on the knee. Seems I’m always fighting knee rock on single lock machines. (They prob have more wear than yours as well)

L7

I realize this thread is a few weeks old.

What is the purpose (or asked differently what use or advantage) to having the X-Y table on a mill table? I ask because I acquired an X-Y table about that size as part of a larger auction purchase - its been holding down the workshop garage floor behind the hyd press for the past 15+ yrs.

I guess one could clock the X-Y table for work in a 3rd axis that is some known angle to the mill table x-y axis. I'm just a hobbyist, with a limited imagination, trying to learn. TIA

The rotary cross slide table was the manual predecessor to the cnc mill. You can actually make about anything on the slide table that can be made on a cnc, just a tad bit slower lol. It was usefull in the modern shop for corner radii on blocks (really pretty fast) repair work, touchy radii of all sorts. It was actually more accurate on most work than the cnc mills I had in the shop. Most guys these days sadly do not know how to run one, ya kind gotta think backwards and inside out to do it.

The rotary cross slide table was the manual predecessor to the cnc mill. You can actually make about anything on the slide table that can be made on a cnc, just a tad bit slower lol. It was usefull in the modern shop for corner radii on blocks (really pretty fast) repair work, touchy radii of all sorts. It was actually more accurate on most work than the cnc mills I had in the shop. Most guys these days sadly do not know how to run one, ya kind gotta think backwards and inside out to do it.

shaggy & indianamoon Thank you for the informative replies.

Interesting. I've used a rotary table for radii and all sorts of stuff, just on the mill table, but having an additional x-y table on top of the rotary I imagine gives you another shxt-load of possibilities. Mind-twisting possibilites no doubt --so maybe not for old farts like me, as thinking forwards is already getting hard enough, let alone backwards, lol!

Interesting. I've used a rotary table for radii and all sorts of stuff, just on the mill table, but having an additional x-y table on top of the rotary I imagine gives you another shxt-load of possibilities. Mind-twisting possibilites no doubt --so maybe not for old farts like me, as thinking forwards is already getting hard enough, let alone backwards, lol!

The reason for the x/y table is to have multiple radius's made without reclamping the part.
I have a hydraulic True-Trace Bridgeport and added one of these to add a manual function to my mill.

If you guys remember the long rubber-like seat belt boots that used to be on cars?...... Well, the center mold core for these was pretty complicated, everything had draft angles and connecting radii everywhere, and they had to shut off (+- .001 or less) on other parts of the mold. They might have been up to a foot long and maybe 5 inches wide x 2-3 inches tall. Well, we made these things on a rotary cross slide table back in the day. Took a LOT of time to make one of those and multiple setups and tilting the head both ways depending on the cut. Lots of construction ball work also.

Well I guess an additional x-y on top of the rotable doesn't shift the center of the work in the same way that moving the mill table does(?) But then again, you're not moving the part in relation to the tables center of rotation, so...
Like I said, hard for me to wrap head around without having had the experience.

Back