What's new
What's new

This opportunity isn't going to last long....Advice needed!!

Cleancut

Aluminum
Hey guys,

Ill get right to it - I have the opportunity to buy a Bridgeport series II interact 2 for dirt cheap. not sure of exact year. could be early 80s. made in United Kingdom.

Its got some issue with the serial port - not sure, but would likely retrofit or convert to manual if thats possible?

This machine is way to big for my space but I could make it work. its a 460v machine and I only have 240v single phase.

is this a retarded idea? I could make a project out of it? different motor, retrofit etc etc etc....

it appears to be in pretty good shape, table is nice. said it was from a school.

Ill never get the opportunity again, but maybe its a bad idea....it is REALLY cheap, and close to my house. would be an easy move.

most guys want 5 grand for there beat up old manual mills around here. you can tell how well built this machine is....but if it doesn't make sense then i guess I'm just getting all worked up for nothing....

help.....thanks guys

Hey guys,

Ill get right to it - I have the opportunity to buy a Bridgeport series II interact 2 for dirt cheap. not sure of exact year. could be early 80s. made in United Kingdom.

Its got some issue with the serial port - not sure, but would likely retrofit or convert to manual if thats possible?

This machine is way to big for my space but I could make it work. its a 460v machine and I only have 240v single phase.

is this a retarded idea? I could make a project out of it? different motor, retrofit etc etc etc....

it appears to be in pretty good shape, table is nice. said it was from a school.

Ill never get the opportunity again, but maybe its a bad idea....it is REALLY cheap, and close to my house. would be an easy move.

most guys want 5 grand for there beat up old manual mills around here. you can tell how well built this machine is....but if it doesn't make sense then i guess I'm just getting all worked up for nothing....

help.....thanks guys

This PM member has been a supplier to me. He has my trust.

You might want to review how he handled what may be the same model of mill and its obsolete electronics:

Bridgeport Series II Interact 2 CNC Mill

As to "bad idea" or good one?

"WE" haven't the least effing klew what you expect to get OUT of such a purchase.

All we have sight of is that you position yerself as a "Machineist"...

Welll. Fair enuf. You didn't claim to be able to SPELL the word, just ability to DO it!

:D

That was back when my phone didn't have auto correct 😋

Plan? Have fun is all - maybe it will turn into somthing else one day, but for now just have fun.

Thanks for the link.

That was back when my phone didn't have auto correct ��

Plan? Have fun is all - maybe it will turn into somthing else one day, but for now just have fun.

Thanks for the link.

Keep mine turnded off. Thot it was a "smell" checker, and that was gittin' a mite PERSONAL!

Yah - Igor did what he did mostly "because he could".

I'm as happy having bought a somewhat stouter mill than a BirdPort that remains all-axis powered, but by means of Old Skewl gears, clutches, levers - Mark One hands...

...and such brains - if any - I can still run off nuthin' more complicated than decent cooking skills and remembering to take a dump now and then so I don't get full-up and fall victim to a "TDS" infection.

I did say "Old Skewl?"

:D

Last edited:
I did something similar with a MAHO...
Retrofitting a 1986 Maho MH400E - LinuxCNC

The Bridgeport seems like you will have to get into the electrics more due to the voltage you dont have. I only lobotomised mine, but kept all the electrics and motion control hardware original. LinuxCNC is excellent, and there is a very helpful knowledgeable user base. MEsa Cards work very well to interface LinuxCNC with existing motion control hardware.
Mark

I am 99% sure that the Interact didnt come as a manual machine. With that being said, turning it to manual will be completely modified by you to make it work. I have seen centroid retrofit kits on em.

I think the only guy out there who works on old Interacts is Terlecki, ever since Keith passed.

Jon

I know.....but all the voltage differences. Etc. I think I am going to pass. Its huge too

I know.....but all the voltage differences. Etc. I think I am going to pass. Its huge too

Transformer solves the voltage issue easy. Almost any transformer that has 240 on one side and 480 on the other will work, as long as it is big enough. Run the step down transformer in reverse if that kind is easier to get.

Transformer solves the voltage issue easy. Almost any transformer that has 240 on one side and 480 on the other will work, as long as it is big enough. Run the step down transformer in reverse if that kind is easier to get.

second that, voltage is a fairly minor issue. spill the beans, tell us how much REALLY cheap is! maybe some pics of the ways etc? of corse low price is just a way to get you hooked up to a project, but if the iron is good, well that puts you way, way ahead of 80% of the poor sods who come here to get help with some decrepit heap of junk they dragged home....:)

...if the iron is good, well that puts you way, way ahead of 80% of the poor sods who come here to get help with some decrepit heap of junk they dragged home....:)

Hang on, there....

You sayin' our WIVES and our Doctor-critters are members here?

B'live I'll hang onta being "decrepit" for a while longer. Kinda gotten accustomed to stuff being in "as-built" location and functionality.. or at least the memory-thereof.

second that, voltage is a fairly minor issue. spill the beans, tell us how much REALLY cheap is! maybe some pics of the ways etc? of corse low price is just a way to get you hooked up to a project, but if the iron is good, well that puts you way, way ahead of 80% of the poor sods who come here to get help with some decrepit heap of junk they dragged home....:)

its a 3 phase 460v machine. im residential single phase 240v.....you sure thats so easy? :P

your right about the iron...if its good. I actually didn't get to spend too much time with it, and couldn't see any of the ways. it would need to be powered up and jogged back and forth. I know these machines are all hand scraped... would be interesting....now you guys have me thinking again. just seems crazy for my little 24x24 garage....but being crazy hasn't stopped me before. it is impressive iron, I'm just worried about getting in over my head....they are a complex beast for a manual noob such as myself.....but where there's a will....

I'm going to need more encouragement here guys XD

RPC and then transformer, easy. That way you can do 240 single phase, 240 3 phase and 480 3 phase. Other voltages would be doable with other transformers of course.
RPC is easy to make and used transformers are plentiful enough.

I am on residential service also, 200A. 1 15hp RPC made from and old motor powers everything 3 phase, biggest single load is 10 hp power hammer. Other 3 ph motors are mixed, 1 1/2hp, 2hp, 2 or 3 3 hp, 4 or 5 5hp, and a 7 1/2 hp. the 15kva 240-480 transformer can run the 480v machines, two 5 hp, and 1 3hp (not all at once)

Just because the machine is currently running on 480V service doesn't necessarily mean that it can't be easily changed to 240V operation. Many of these machines have dual voltage capability (240/480) and can be changed to the lower voltage configuration with very minimal work and expense because almost all of the componentry is built into the machine. I have a BP EZ Track mill that was this way when I purchased it. Just made the needed changes then built myself an RPC to run it and my lathe. Just food for thought.

Ted

Just because the machine is currently running on 480V service doesn't necessarily mean that it can't be easily changed to 240V operation. Many of these machines have dual voltage capability (240/480) and can be changed to the lower voltage configuration with very minimal work and expense because almost all of the componentry is built into the machine. I have a BP EZ Track mill that was this way when I purchased it. Just made the needed changes then built myself an RPC to run it and my lathe. Just food for thought.

Ted

This is most likely, then you just need to make or get a RPC and your golden.

This is most likely, then you just need to make or get a RPC and your golden.

The trouble is, aside from the basics I know nothing about cnc. I want to learn, and I know I will likely never be able to buy a machine of this caliber ever again (at this price). At the same time I know its a hugely complicated beast, and I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to get it going with my knowledge.

I know if I can supply the proper voltage (I can figure that out) it does power up with info on the screen etc, but that's it - not sure of anything else.

do you think a laymen with the right reading materials and basic electrical knowledge will be able to figure this thing out?

The trouble is, aside from the basics I know nothing about cnc. I want to learn, and I know I will likely never be able to buy a machine of this caliber ever again (at this price). At the same time I know its a hugely complicated beast, and I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to get it going with my knowledge.

I know if I can supply the proper voltage (I can figure that out) it does power up with info on the screen etc, but that's it - not sure of anything else.

do you think a laymen with the right reading materials and basic electrical knowledge will be able to figure this thing out?

Everyone starts with no knowledge of anything. Do they have operators manuals and other programing info for it? If not is it available?

yes the book is there, along with a decent stack of other paper... I would imagine I would eventually change out the existing controller for something more modern unless I could make do with what it has.

I just need to make the decision to bring it home and worry later, lol.

I guess my other only other fear is the height and weight. I think its about 6000 lbs. I have a standard residential home with a 24X24 garage, and would imagine a standard 4" thick slab. it has no cracks so I think it was done properly.

the machine is 89" tall, and the door opening is 81". I would need to take the motor/top of machine off to clear. XD....scary.

In my experience with the MAHO retrofit, the single most important thing you need to get with the machine is a set of matching wiring diagrams. Manuals too, but wiring diagrams are more important, than manauls on this sort of relatively simple mechanical device.

I'm an aircraft mechanic, and never got much electrical training. I couldn't read an electrical schematic when I started, but there are plenty of good resources and people to help. As with any large project, you need to put your hand on the project every single day. Miss a few days, and you miss a week, then a month, and then you have forgotten where you were at.

The second advice would be to not start by ripping everything apart. CNC machines are very modular. This means you can break such a project down into smaller more achievable projects. If you can get it running in its original state this also helps a lot.

You still haven't let on what it costs. I paid €2400 for my brain dead MAHO MH400E with very little mechanical wear. Don't worry, with all borders closed we cant come to Canada and steal the deal. Over here, those early Bridgeport CNC's are very cheap, as with the MAHO they are too slow for modern production. Did you see this...
http://www.machineability.com/Bridgeport_series_II.html
Mark

Back