What's new
What's new

Original Bridgeport power feed replacement

jmjones

Plastic
I have a machine with the old geared power feed attachment that recently stopped working. I am considering switching to a more modern power feed solution instead of fixing the obsolete system that I currently have. Will the new style bolt right on or do I need a retrofit kit or something additional? Any help would be great.

Thanks

John

If you have this style power feed, I have a working one that I took off of my machine.

power feed.jpg

I replaced it with a Servo unit. That required a special kit that was not cheap. I am not sure if I would do it again or not.

Ken

I have used both types of power feeds. The gear box style is reliable but not easy to change the gears. Quiet as it gets.

I used a Servo too. The old power feed shaft connects to the mill X screw by locating in a hole in the end of the screw's shaft. At the connection
there is a hole with a metal pin. I would replace the metal pin with a cotter pin. A Servo or similar feed would have an adapter.

Last edited:
I have used both types of power feeds. The gear box style is reliable but not easy to change the gears. Quiet as it gets.

I used a Servo too. The old power feed shaft connects to the mill X screw by locating in a ho;e in the end of the screw's shaft. At the connection
there is a hole with a metal pin. I would replace the metal pin with a cotter pin. A Servo or similar feed would have an adapter.

My power feed sheared the pin and damaged the sleeve that holds the bearings and gears on the screw shaft. I have not been able to find that piece for replacement, the rest of the power feed runs and works fine.

The screw for this setup is longer than other screws.

I have one of the cheap import servo style power feeds that I dont think will work because the screw is longer. I am trying to find out if my options of

A.) Is there an adapter that can make the import servo work with my current screw?

Or
B.) Do I need a different screw for the import servo feed?

Or
C.) Does anyone know of a source of the original part that was damaged so I can just use the original gear power feed that still works fine?

Thanks for all your help so far,

John

As I said, you have to use a special adapter plate (because yes, the screw is longer so the servo will not work as is).

Does yours look like the one I showed?

Ken

Cal at Servo Replacement Parts was very helpful and knew what he was talking about. They used to have a page that showed the various machines and what servos they used. For mine, I needed M-0225-150 which had the new plate and servo.

H&W has it really inexpensively if it includes the plate - less than $900. They might have the parts you need to fix yours as well. If not, and it is the same as mine, maybe we could figure something out. I just hate to part one that works.

And yes, you can buy that adapter plate separately. I want to say it was around $150 when I was looking.

Ken

Hooking up the 3 phase wrong makes them blow up internally, guess how I know.....

I liked the old gearbox better than the old, old servos, it was smoother, the old electronic ones tended to cog at low speed.

YOu might find a short screw online somewhere

The gearbox feed has a feed rates listed by the selector handle. If you like to know the numbers.

A electronic one has no idea. I've heard of some of those speeding up and slowing down during a pass.

You are lucky. If that is the issue then just relax. Easy to fix/replace. You might be able to dress the metal. :ack2:

The issue with the gear selection is that it becomes difficult when parts don't mate together.
Then you maybe get more forceful and the damage gets worse. Same thing goes for a key in door lock, easy and gentle works better.

Although it is always exciting to go to the store and buy the new stuff. On the way home you ask yourself questions.

I have an exploded view of it if that would help. It has the parts numbered and tells what it's called. What is the model number
for this unit?
11132022185919.jpg

If you have this style power feed, I have a working one that I took off of my machine.

View attachment 339273

I replaced it with a Servo unit. That required a special kit that was not cheap. I am not sure if I would do it again or not.

Ken
I am looking at a machine that has this type power feed installed. What is needed to replace it with a modern power feed and how much did it cost? Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

Back