What's new
What's new

Pancake motor

xactf046

Plastic
Well I just retired the old grizzly and bought an old bridgeport from an auction. Got a great deal on it and got it home. While waiting on the vfd I installed the dro and all the goodies. Finally got the vfd and she was cranking along real nice the pow breaker pops vfd dead. Ordered a new vfd and researched the problem. Found the insulation had fallen of the wires to the motor and shorted to the frame. Repaired the wiring ohmed out the wiring and all looked good. Hooked up vfd and ran for a short time slowing the whole time. rechecked the motor and its toast. So what kind of motor are they using to replace these with. I'm only looking to spend 2 or 3 hundred on it. All input is welcome.

'Bridgeport Motor' in ebay will return a ton of motors. Sort by cost and find one. Give yourself a couple of weeks if possible and get a feel for how the costs run.

If the magic smoke is not completely gone from yours, a motor shop may be able to help. Rewinds are generally not cost effective.

Double and triple check your wiring the next time around, these motors are generally hard to kill unless the PO damaged it. Maybe it was damp (these sometimes get left outside for reasons I don't understand).

John

Back