What's new
What's new

Parts needed for Bridgeport mechanical power feed

EliG

Plastic
I have been going through my new to me 1963 Bridgeport J head mill. When looking at the mill before I purchased it I noticed that there were some parts missing on the mechanical power feed. This has the three phase motor with the quick change gear box to select the feed rate. What I'm missing is the handle for selecting the feed rate and the knob that selects high or low range. Internally I am missing the 27 tooth idler gear and the idler stud that attaches it to the gear shifting arm in the gear box. I am also missing one bearing and the bearing cover that goes on the bottom of the shaft on the bottom of the gear box. The motor works and there appears to no damage to the remainder of the gear box so I am not sure why these parts are missing and the previous owner didn't know either as it was that way when he bought it. If anyone has these parts or an entire gear box that they would be willing to sell I would be interested in it.

Thanks!

@Sam_stlouis thanks for the plug.

Unfortunately, of the 4 gear power feeds that we have in pieces here at the shop, those are some of the most commonly needed parts and have been parted out long ago. While I do not believe that a Servo is in the same category as the Bridgeport power feeds, I do think they are the best out there right now.

Your other option is to try and find a used one online to part out yourself.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

Jon, thanks for looking. You folks were on my list of people to call. I ended up finding a complete power feed that supposedly works. So i will either swap the whole thing out or make one good one out of two. I had considered replacing the unit with something newer but I like to try to keep things original.

Eli

TBH I think the original gear driven or 6F/8F feeds are much more work horses than the newer stuff out there.

And I think it all comes down to the metal gears vs plastic.

Jon

Back