What's new
What's new

Pictures of your Hardinge DV 59, DSM 59, TR 59, ESM 59, tooling and setups

mastuart

Aluminum
I have had a few DV 59's and DSM 59's. I make mostly small parts. At one time I made 20 small valve guides for a model engine out of brass. These were made on a small 6 inch atlas lathe . All the guides can out nice and measured the best I can tell about .0002 tenth of one another. The problem was they took about 20 hours to make . With all the tool changing there was too much room for error and took to long.
That's when I got a Hardinge DSM. The next project was some special 4-40 nuts. It took some time to set it up right. After I got It right I made a couple hundred of them in an hour or so. These machines are pretty sweet for making small parts.

Anyhow I would be interested in seeing pictures of your machine, tooling, setups, parts you make on yours. I would think other would have interest in seeing them also.

Mark

The most resent use of DV59/DSM were these blanks that I rough out on the mill. They are a cylinder head. Others have said that it takes about 20 hours to make each one. These will be the blanks for further machining operations. They need a taper turned on them. Seeing that this would be a lot of cranking of the compound I decided to use the lever cross slide and a lever operated Model E angle slide. The only tool post I have for the angle slide is a lantern style and the tool bit I wanted to use would not fit it. I used a D5 tool post which is to tall to put the tool tip on center. My solution...... mount tool upside down and run spindle in reverse

DSCN4767.jpg

The blanks will have to be remounted several times . This is my solution.

DSCN4766.jpg

The handle of the angle slide hit the cross slide and did not give me enough travel. I made an extension. I have seen these on other slides, I now know why.

DSCN4768.jpg

Action shot with the spindle running

DSCN4769.jpg

Most of the blanks ready for the next operation.

DSCN4770.jpg

Lets see some of yours.

Mark

Last edited:
The straight and taper turning slide had two different tool holders available. The lantern type was actually identical to the one Hardinge used to provide for the 7" swing Cataract lathes. It took 5/16" square bits and used a rocker to adjust height. The original circa 1910 7" lantern holders had a nice screw adjustment for tool height. You could also use tiny Armstrong-type holders with 3/16" square bits in the lantern holder. The other holder, designed later specifically for the taper slide, was just a block of steel with a pair of slots (left and right) for 5/16" square bits. You had to use shims to set the tool height. This second design was very simple and anyone with a mill could make one, and even make one to use 3/8" square bits.

It is about thirty years since I did turret work on my Hardinge ESM-59 lathe. I did take 35 mm pictures of some of the setups, but I don't know where they are now.

Larry

Thanks for your replies When I was first looking for one of these machines I went to a bunch of machinery dealers in Chicago. Some of the dealers showed me a lot of very old junk that was rusty and very noisy . All of there prices you would of thought you were buying a new machine. I left most dealers thinking that it the machines that I looked at was worth the asking price I could not afford a nice machine. I stopped at Iversons a hardinge rebuilder. They had some nice machines . But they were out of my price range. They were nice to me and gave me some pages from some kind of hardinge master catalog . It contained all the material related to DV59 ,DSM tooling . A nice handy thing to have.

So Larry what are some of your favorite tools for these machines .

Sfriedberg I am looking forward to seeing some of your tooling. I have been collecting tooling for a while myself. I will try to post some pictures too.

I have been picking up tools for the DSM-59 for several years now.
When I can't find a tool for the purpose, I started making my own tools.

For the angle slide I have needed holders for a single tool and also 3 tool clusters, so I made a T nut for the angle slide as long as the T slot. Put a row of 1/4-28 holes on 1/2" centers.
For the top of the holder, I used a pc of 1/2 X 1 crs. and tapped 3 rows of 1/4-28 holes on 5/16" centers.
Then for uprights a couple of spacers out of 1/2 X 1 with a clearance hole for 1/4"
I have several tops of various lengths.

For the last job I couldn't work around the interference issues, so I made a spacer for the Vertical cutoff slide to move the cutoff 3/4" and then pushed the rear turret back.

Bill

I use some tools from screw machines that I modify for my uses. Such as a B&S #200 Hollow mill that I made new blades for. So I can face the part to length, Chfr ID and OD at the same time.

Here are some of my tool post for the compound slide and strait and taper turning slide.

First picture left to right The first two are D11's the Hardinge catalog said fits on compound slides. These take 3/8 square bits. Catalog also mentions that they need a 3/8 shim to put them on center. The two here have shop made shims that are pinned so they cant fall out. Someone made them out of 5/16 stock. The third one fits the taper strait slide. These are a lot smaller than the D11 They take 5/16 bits. I could not find a catalog number for these and they are not marked. They must of come with a strait taper turning slide. In my brochures or catalogs there is no mention of these separately. The last two to the right are for the lever operated cross slide. They are D5 for the front position and D4 for the rear position.

DSCN4773.jpg

Picture 2 Two lantern posts for the strait taper turning slide. These are not marked Hardinge but the left one look just like the ones in catalogs and brochures. The right one not sure who made It but it is the right height for using the straight taper turning on the rear position of the lever operated cross slide.

DSCN4774.jpg

Picture 3 Left one no name on it but is right for use in the compound slide . The right one is shop made and is like Larry posted about in an earlier post in this thread. This one will take a lathe bit or boring bar.

DSCN4775.jpg

Larry mentioned two other tool holders for the strait taper turning slide. They are D2 . It has two grooves for bits and you have to use shims to put the lathe bit on center. There is also a D8 that holds boring bars. I do not have either of these two tool holders.

There are other tool posts for the compound but I don't have any of them. I will post more pictures of tooling when I get a chance.

Mark

Last edited:
My DSM-59 shares a tool cabinet with the drill press, as they both use drills and taps. Here are the drawers of DSM-specific tooling, with just a few pieces in-use on a setup. The tapping heads in the first photo obviously don't go with the DSM.

DSM_Tooling_1.jpg

Step chuck closers, DSM taper slide, plus DV-style compound and dog drivers.

DSM_Tooling_2.jpg

Principally cross-slide tooling, risers, multiple tool blocks, circular form tool blocks, shave tool. For the turret, drill chucks and ER16 collet tools.

DSM_Tooling_3.jpg

Primarily box tools, balanced turning tools, also 5/16 die heads and their chasers, releasing tapping heads, and rotary broach tools.

DSM_Tooling_4.jpg

Adjustable tool holders, D300 collet tools, knee tools, R&L bits and pieces, adjustable offset tools, adjustable boring tool holders, recessing tools, drill&chamfer tools.

DSM_Tooling_5.jpg

Knurling tools, more recessing tools, toolbits for recessing tools, box of blank square bits, pounds of surplused circular form tools (some of which are even useful).

Sfriedberg Nice ! Where did the red boxes come from? What size are the drawers on that tool box ? My tooling for my Harding is scattered everywhere . I have been looking at some tool boxes at Menards that look heavy duty for the money. I'm not sure most of the drawers are deep enough .

What are some of your most often used tools?

How many of each tool do you guys think you should have?

Thanks for sharing ! Mark

Last edited:
Where did the red boxes come from?
They are a fairly standard item for use with 24"x24" drawers on Lista (or similar) cabinets. I got mine from Rob Schaller, who also sells on eBay. Most of the sides are multiples of 3". As you can see, they're not all the same depth. Some are intended for a nominal 2" deep drawer, while others are for 3" deep drawers. The nominal 2" cups are more space-efficient than the 3's, if you can use them.

What size are the drawers on that tool box ? ... drawers are deep enough
The cabinet is a Waterloo TRAXX TR71808B, which (very sadly) they no longer make. Overall, it's a 26"x18" roller cabinet. Drawers are 22.37"x16.46". The drawer in the 1st photo is 6.32" deep. The other drawers are 3.08" deep. You really need an honest 3 inches depth for many items of 00-sized (B&S or DSM-59) tooling. 4" deep drawers would be very comfortable for this stuff.

The cabinet has two more drawers, not shown, 2" deep, which I use for taps and some miscellaneous cutting tools. There's an intermediate chest on top of the cabinet filled with drills and reamers.

What are some of your most often used tools?
The vertical cutoff slide. On the cross-slide, chamfering and/or grooving tools. Less often, a circular form tool. On the turret, stock stop, drill/chamfer tool, adjustable drill/reamer holders, box tools, recessing tools. If I did larger (chucked) parts more often on the DSM, the knee tools and adjustable offset tools would get more use.

Sfriedgerg, I'm seriously jealous of your major tooling stash! That is awesome!

I have posted this before, a video of my hardinge making a rod end. I have actually streamlined the process a bit since I made this video, I got some helpful feedback from PM members when I posted it the first time. I need to reshoot next time I am making a run.

Sfriedberg I have been looking at your tooling pictures some more :drool5:. I see you have Skiving tool holder and some 1C collet holders. Those two don't turn up very often . Are those some broaching bits next your rotary broach? In pic 2 what are the parts in the box below your circle form tool holders. Also what is in the box with the circle form tool holders? In pic 3 are the boxes holding your box tools and balance turning tools 3x3x2? Also in the same picture is that a Tangi Flow box tool? At the top of the same pic in the middle is that a pointing tool? Same pic lower right corner ......roller back rest? Pic 5 are those bits for your recessing tool below it? I am going to order some of the red boxes. They look like they work out well.

Mark

I see you have Skiving tool holder and some 1C collet holders. Those two don't turn up very often .
I was quite happy when I got the D1 skive holder (I called it shave in the photo captions). With a properly ground tool, it turns profiles very nicely and with less force than a radially fed form tool.

I don't have any 1C collet stuff. Which pieces are you looking at? I've got D300 holders, both long shank extension and adjustable, and ER16 extensions. Also have the collets for the TT releasing tap holders, but they aren't visible through their grubby containers.

Are those some broaching bits next your rotary broach?
Yes. The rotary broaches are in the back left corner of the 2nd photo. Small bin of broaches to the right. Bits ground for box tools below.

In pic 2 what are the parts in the box below your circle form tool holders. Also what is in the box with the circle form tool holders?
The bin front and center in the 2nd photo has a couple of "guides" for turret-mounted "swing-type" tools. The guides mount on the front cross-slide position, and are used as cams to move levers on turret-mounted tools as the ram advances. In addition to the front and rear circular form tool holders, I have two or three adapters for square shank tools that mount on the holders. So for narrow form profiles, you can grind a square blank and mount it in place of an actual circular form tool.

In addition to the holders and adapters, it looks like a couple of hook bolts used for clamping circular tools in the holders in the bin, and the plastic sack to the right has more hook bolts and similar pieces.

In pic 3 are the boxes holding your box tools and balance turning tools 3x3x2?
Yes.

Also in the same picture is that a Tangi Flow box tool?
Yes, I got lucky and was able to pick one up at a reasonable price. I have a Boyar-Schultz box tool with a similar self-retracting mechanism and either a B-S or a Brown&Sharpe box tool with a non-retracting block for carbide inserts. Both of the latter take standard inserts, while the TangiFlox required a special insert buy.

At the top of the same pic in the middle is that a pointing tool?
Actually, I believe that's a non-roller (V-rest) box tool with two cutting positions. There's some overlap between the categories of pointing tools and drill&chamfer tools. I have a circular pointing tool that's not visible in the bin in the back right of the 4th photo. Three completely different types of pointing tools in the right half of the front row of the same photo, one not shown in the setup currently on the DSM.

Same pic lower right corner ... roller back rest?
Yep!

Pic 5 are those bits for your recessing tool below it?
Front row, next to right end, those are 1/4" round shank recessing bits. Two bins back, and not really visible, are some 1/2" shank bits (mostly blanks at this point). To the left of the 1/4" shank recessing bits, those are three bits for swing-type tools. The shanks behind the cutting heads are wedge-shaped rather than rectangular. They fit the tools one bin back.

----

I should probably add that none of this stuff (except for replacement rollers, pins, etc., some cutters and some collets) was new when I got it. I've probably invested a couple of work weeks in reconditioning this stuff, cleaning, replacing fasteners, replacing wear parts, etc. Lots of it arrived coated with that nasty cutting-oil varnish loaded with splinter-like metal chips, and spent lots of time in the heated ultrasonic cleaner before I could even take it apart. And because much of this arrived in mixed auction lots, there's a bucket full of stuff in the back of the shop that is either the wrong size, too dilapidated to mess with, or redundant with what was already usable.

Sfriedberg I thought In pic 4 top row third box from the left were 1C collet holders . I must not have looked very well. I have a Tangi Flow that I have never used. I need to get some new inserts for it sometime. I recently got a rear mount circle form tool holder and extra tool and j bolts from a screw machine shop that is closing. I asked the owner what the extra holes in the tool holder were for. His reply was like you said to operate swing tools. If you think of it and you have time take some pictures or video the next time you use the skiving tool.

PS. How do you make your pictures big. Mark

Back