Pictures of your Hardinge DV 59, DSM 59, TR 59, ESM 59, tooling and setups - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Feeling Groovy

I have been using my DSM with a coumpound slide to do some grooving. I have 3 compounds . The one I am using is a DSB. It is the nicest one I have . The other two are DSC's and not in as nice of shape. Now get this , three compounds and no proper tool post except for lantern style ones. The tool post pictured is the one for the lever operated cross slide. I made a little adaptor to get by. The insert is a mini thin that was ground thinner. Grooves are .032 wide and .094 deep.

dscn4781.jpg

dscn4782.jpg

A hole lot of groovin going on!

dscn4783.jpg

Eleven grooves in each part took about 10 min each . These compounds have a nice feel. They give good feedback on what the cutter is doing.

Anyone know what multi fix tool post is the right one to use on these machines?

Groovy Mark
    Last edited by mastuart; 03-07-2014 at 04:56 PM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mastuart View Post
    I thought In pic 4 top row third box from the left were 1C collet holders.
    If I'm counting the same as you, those are just a couple of extra shanks for adjustable tool holders. Normally, there would be something bolted to the flat face (currently facing down in the bin).

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default More tooling to add to my stash

I have been try to go to a screw machine shop that is about 30 miles away once a week. They were in business for almost 60 years . The owners are retiring and selling things off. This is my haul from this week. Everything has dried up oil and crude like sfriedberg was talking about. I will post new pictures when I clean some of it up. I got 13 pounds of circle form tool I might be able to use or modify for $2 a pound.

If anyone is looking for something the next time I go I will ask.

dscn4784.jpgdscn4785.jpg

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You can run that machine with any kind of toolpost. Here's a hardinge turret type, which
    is nice because it can index but also can be clamped at intermediate points between the
    index points:

Here's the same lathe with an aloris knock-off:

Another kind of hardinge quick change toolpost:

And here's the machine in turret setup:

5. Likes Davis In SC, mastuart, sfriedberg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Jim I know I can use about any type tool post. I was just saying all the stuff I got for this machine and I don't have a tool post that fits right other than a lantern style. I bought a new Dorian BXA for my Clausing and the first time I changed the angle on the compound I wished I had gotten one that indexed . How many places does the Hardinge one index at. Does it have a model number on it.

What are some of your favorite tools for on this lathe? Sometime when you are making something with the turret take some pictures of your setup. I would be interested in seeing them and I think other would be to.

On another note how are you posting your pictures?

Thanks for posting! Mark

Looking at your pictures . I thought no variable speed ? What year?
    Last edited by mastuart; 03-09-2014 at 04:26 AM. Reason: add something

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The lathe is a bit of an oddball. It was purchased by a local wire-drawing die factory right before they
    stopped operation. I think it's late 1950s vintage, hence it is belt change only, no vari-speed. The
    factory shut down right after purchasing the machine so they ran a couple of brass jobs on it (sump
    had brass chips) and then shuttered the place.

Fast forward to around 1995 and the shop was purchased by a local carpetry outfit. The wanted
    all the machinery gone, so for 600 bucks I bought that machine.

It had the turret, some small amount of turret tooling, a standard tailstock that still had the original
    hardinge cosmoline on it, collets, and a toolmaker's compound that matched the all steel one you
    showed that was grimed up - but again that compound had never even been mounted to the machine,
    it was new in box. I happened to have the one shown in the photos with the white dials and those
    are actually a bit more solid than the sliding block type so I left the 'new' one bagged up for posterity.

I've considered putting a VFD on the machine but because I've got a rotary converter the belt change
    really isn't that much of a nuisance.

I rarely put the turret on it, this machine is mostly used for small parts where the brand new spindle and
    brand new tailstock ram make drilling small holes a snap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I got some of the tooling cleaned up . I used lacquer thinner, soak for awhile and brush. Some will need a few new nuts screw or bolts but will be useable. I still have to clean up about 1/2 to 2/3 of the circle form tools.

dscn4791.jpg

Anybody know what this tool does . It is marked B&S MFG CO No 00A . In the first picture you can see how they were using it.

dscn4792.jpg

Here are a couple of turret chucks I didn't have.

dscn4793.jpg

And a couple of tools to use on the lever operated cross slide . These are used on the circle form tool holders.

dscn4795.jpg

Mark

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anybody know what this tool does . It is marked B&S MFG CO No 00A .
    That's a circular pointing tool, which is especially good if you want something other than a flat chamfer on the end of the part. It takes a simple disk blank, on which you grind the desired profile. Blanks are still available, and this would be a good time to mention that Lester Detterbeck has acquired the Boyar-Schultz and Brown&Sharpe lines of small screw-machine tooling, in addition to their own product line. Replacement parts, cutter blanks, etc, are still available from them (Detterbeck).

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

These are some of my modified tools:

First picture is a B&S roller box tool with R4 bearings for rollers. It cuts 5/8" stock to 5mm in a single pass.
    #2 is my tool holder for the taper attachment, with an extra top. Also shown is my extension spacer for the vertical cutoff slide.
    #3 is using a V-block turning tool to put a spherical end on the thread.
    #4 is an adaptor to take 11/16" button dies and put them on an Acorn die releasing holder. This gets used only for odd sized threads, where chasers for geometric heads are too pricey.
    #5 is a B&S model 200 box tool with new blades to face to length, and chfr. O.D. and I.D. at the same time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0319.jpg   100_0318.jpg   100_0320.jpg   100_0321.jpg   100_0323.jpg  

Last edited by hitandmiss; 03-12-2014 at 12:08 AM.

11. Likes mastuart, sfriedberg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

More pictures:
    #1 is a 1" boring head for 1/4" bars.
    #2 is a V-block holder for drills.
    #3 is a nice cutoff holder for the back slide.
    #4 is a better shot for #3 above.
    #5 is a tool holder for larger (1/2 & 5/8") shank tools that will not fit in a Hardinge holder.

I have not shown my pickoff tools. A suitable length of plastic or even a dowel rod with a suitable hole drilled in the end to capture screws and the like as it is being cut off. For thin parts with a hole an L type allen wrench works well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0324.jpg   100_0325.jpg   100_0326.jpg   100_0327.jpg   100_0328.jpg  

13. Likes sfriedberg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And I forgot the Hardinge D3 tool presetter.
    It makes setting tools on center a breeze.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0331.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have been try to go to a screw machine shop that is about 30 miles away once a week.
    If anyone is looking for something the next time I go I will ask.

Mark
    I could use the opposite hand of this tool with a 5/8" shank.

Bill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0327.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hitandmiss Thanks for posting! Is there a brand name on that 1 inch boring head? I have a v holder like you show in your picture, mine is a Brookfield. I also have a cutoff holder that I have never used. What are you making in the above setup? Is the D3 tool presetter the only one you need for these machines? Looks like you can use it on the lever cross slide . Can it be used to set turret tools and will it work for the compound.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hit and miss Does that tool have a name and number on it . That way I can see if they have that one so I can look for a left one.

Mark

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Does that tool have a name and number on it .
    Mark, that looks like a Brown & Sharpe #45, of which there are several versions. 711-45-400 and 711-45-500 have 5/8" shanks; the latter has provision for a centering drill, and the numbering tells me there are several earlier versions of this tool. The left-hand version is a #46, specifically 711-46-400 for a 5/8" shank. There is no current LH version with a centering drill, but there might be an older version like that.

I don't know what the original designation for these tools was, so you may see some that look just like it but have a number something like 22EA where the letters generally tell you what sort of tool it is.

Generically, this is just a "box tool" or a "V-rest box tool". It's obviously not a "roller box tool".

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hit and miss Does that tool have a name and number on it .
    B&S 00K is all it is marked. It is not setup for a center drill. I am not using the standard grind on the form tool, so I must turn it in reverse. So the opposite hand tool would allow me to turn the work forward.

sfriedberg states that it is a B&S #45, following his info I found dimensions for the 45-500 here:Feed Tube Bushings ~ Brown-Sharpe

Even a bare #46 tool would be very helpful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is there a brand name on that 1 inch boring head? I have a v holder like you show in your picture, mine is a Brookfield. I also have a cutoff holder that I have never used. What are you making in the above setup? Is the D3 tool presetter the only one you need for these machines? Looks like you can use it on the lever cross slide . Can it be used to set turret tools and will it work for the compound.

Mark
    I think the 1" boring head is an Everede, it has no markings at all. It came on a 1" shank.

The V holder is a Brookfield DA-10

The D3 Presetter is the only one I have, and have it set for use for tools on the lever cross slide. I have seen others that are tall enough to use on the bed to set tools on the DV compound.

I frequently will make a part on a stub, in the manual lathe, to put in the collet and set the tools from it. There is normally a few partially completed parts in the job box, for setting the tools.

I am making a nice fancy thumb screw. I goofed on the radius of the form tool (a little smaller radius) for the knurl. So I mounted the knurl on the taper attachment and shift the knurl sideways while knurling. It makes a nice sharp knurl that conforms to the radius of the form tool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can I put a http link to one of the craigs lists adds so you can see how much stuff they have?

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sfriedberg View Post
    That's a circular pointing tool, which is especially good if you want something other than a flat chamfer on the end of the part. It takes a simple disk blank, on which you grind the desired profile. Blanks are still available, and this would be a good time to mention that Lester Detterbeck has acquired the Boyar-Schultz and Brown&Sharpe lines of small screw-machine tooling, in addition to their own product line. Replacement parts, cutter blanks, etc, are still available from them (Detterbeck).
    Thanks for the info. I was on the phone with Detterbeck earlier in the day asking some questions about rollers for box tools. I knew they had Boyar Schultz but didn't know they also had Brown and Sharpe. I have a catalog from Lester Detterbeck from 2003 .

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hitandmiss I am going there on Thursday or Friday . I will look and see what I can find. I will try to remember to take my camera to take pics of some stuff you guys may have interest in.

My Brookfield v holder is a DB-10.

Ok we know the Hardinge D3 preset tool works on the lever cross slide. Does anyone know what other preset tools are needed to use a DSM or DV59?

In the Hardinge tooling catalog I have there is five setting tools listed . They are C2, D3, L2, N2, N2G. They do not list what machine each one is used for. Just taking a guess by the dimensions listed . I think a D2 and L3 covers a DSM or DV 59.

Mark