What's new
What's new

Plastic tubing diameter of Bijur one pump lubrication system?

Marginalist

Plastic
I have a late 70s Bridgeport 2HP mill with a Bijur lubrication system. Some of the lines are clogged with sludge and I pulled one of the thin plastic nylon tubes to clean things out. Afterwards, I was unable to re-insert the tubing into the saddle.

The existing nylon tubing on the mill measures .150 while the holes drilled in the saddle are about 0.125 (an 1/8th inch bit is a tight fit). My assumption was these lines were originally 0.125, and swelled to .150 over time, however I can't find any reference to 0.125 tubing being used on Bridgeport mills. The only size I see is 4mm or 5/32, which is somewhat larger than the existing tubing.

Has anyone encountered a Bridgeport with lubrication lines smaller than 4mm?

I have re-plumbed 3 knee mills and I used 4mm on all of them.

When you say "holes in the saddle" I am a little confused. Do both ends of the line have nuts on them?

When I said "holes in the saddle" I meant where the nylon tube enters the casting. The line I pulled feeds the way between the table and saddle.

Richard, I assume I am measuring the inside of a B4067 bushing that has compressed down to 0.125. I didn't notice a bushing but I wasn't looking for it. Anyway, to replace the line I would need to drill out the B4067 bushing and pound a new one in? And also replace the compression sleeve on the metering end?

The hydraulic way
Tap the smaller hole in the casting and close it with a setsrew
Fill the hole with something like play dough or clay Grease will do also
Then insert a piece of 4mm round and wack it with a hammer
The hydraulic action will force the bushing out

Peter

I never replaced those hole bushings. If you want to take them out flip the saddle and use a pin punch and tap them out. I have also used epoxy to glue them in. BiJur calls the ferules - compression sleeve - one that looks like the regular one with tapered down on both ends is for copper and the one with a flat end and a tapered end on the other end is for Nylon.

If you replace the tube, use new compression bushings nuts and or sleeves I only replace the sleeve 100% 0f the time, if you can screw on the old one, see how far the compression nut draws down on the meter unit and there is room or threads showing they are good... if not replace them. Be sure when ordering you say inch or metric as there are different dimensions and threads. Another tip when starting the fittings, bushings or nuts is to turn them counter-clockwise to feel the thread drop into place and then tighten them as they are easy to cross-thread. Then just get them a little snugger then snug. I also replace the metering units and don't try to clean them. Make sure you give the vendor the correct number stamped into them. Bridgeport's are usually FJB-0 and FJB -2. Another simple trick is to install a inline pressure gage and set the red needle at the pressure you get when you have installed the new stuff. Then watch the gage when you pump it. If it goes higher then something is plugged, if it doesn't go up then it has a leak.

The new machines and on bigger machines I put lube systems on I install a new tank with a low limit float switch and automatic gear pump.

Here is who I buy my parts from.
LubeUSA - LubeUSA

Here is some more pictures and descriptions. Lube Line Repair Kit - CNC Specialty Store

Back