What's new
What's new

Pre-owned Bridgeport parts

MyLilMule

Hot Rolled
For my home hobby shop, I recently acquired a Series 1 Bridgeport with a 2 HP variable speed motor. It’s in need of some repair.

Aside from the destroyed motor shaft, there are a number of smaller parts on the quill that were missing, likely scavenged for use on other mills.

I know that new parts are available from the likes of H&W, but I’m already up to over $1k in new parts that I’ll need.

Are there any sellers, online or otherwise, that may deal in pre-owned parts to help save a bit of money?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a long list and is getting longer.
Just rebuilt a Bridgeport power feed with parts from H&W. I vote buy a complete head if you can find one reasonable. Parts are very expensive. Replacing wore out ones is one thing, but if many are missing it can get get expensive fast. On another note... I see you are a software engineer. Are you using any modeling programs? Fusion 360 etc..?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Just rebuilt a Bridgeport power feed with parts from H&W. I vote buy a complete head if you can find one reasonable. Parts are very expensive. Replacing wore out ones is one thing, but if many are missing it can get get expensive fast. On another note... I see you are a software engineer. Are you using any modeling programs? Fusion 360 etc..?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

The head itself is in decent shape, as far as I can tell. Something happened about 10+ years ago with the mill, not completely certain, and the motor spun, destroying the key way. It was disassembled and there it sat. So it needs a new motor shaft and bushings for the vari-discs for sure. But the quill and spindle are in fine shape.

Besides dealing with the motor - I may have a local rebuilder just take care of that for me - I need to replace things like the quill stop knob (missing), hi-low lever (missing), feed trip lever (missing) - get the picture? :) I suspect that as other machines needed to be repaired, they scavenged this one for parts. It's not that I have to replace parts because they are worn or broken, but because they aren't there. Honestly, this is my first mill and I didn't notice these things when I bought it, and didn't realize just how expensive some of these parts can get. But I got the thing REALLY cheap ($550). It has chrome plated ways and they are all in great shape. So even if I bought a new motor and replaced all these parts, I'd still be in it for less than the ones I see for sale around here.

I haven't looked at the lead screws or anything like that yet, but it did have one of the Bridgeport power feeds on the X axis (left and right, I think I have that right). It powered on, and it worked, but I didn't test it completely. So all-in-all, I couldn't be happier unless it was operational and I had a 3 phase power source.

I will likely be getting parts from H&W or from one of the local parts dealers. Cleveland is a machine rich town and there are quite a few places that deal in Bridgeports.

And to answer your last question, yes, I have been using Fusion 360 for about 6 months now. I had been using SketchUp to do things like design some projects or even to design my workshop and to plan the layout. I graduated to Fusion 360 when I needed to make something that was going to be a bit more precisely cut on a waterjet - I made a set of weld together squares similar in design to those from Fireball Tool. But when my wife bought me a 3D printer this past Christmas, I started using Fusion 360 even more. I even 3D printed a gear I have temporarily on the rear of the spindle on my 13" South Bend. I still have a lot to learn about joints and the like, or even doing stress analysis on stuff (I plan to design a jib crane and want to do some load testing using Fusion) but it's a blast.

Since I was asked, here is a list of parts I need for my mill (so far). Yes, before you say it, some of this hardware can be sourced from a local hardware store, and it will be, if I know the correct size, thread, etc. :) And some of these I can make on the lathe. But I am making as comprehensive of a list as possible. My plan is to put the head back on the mill and assemble as much as I can minus the motor. There may be more parts or fasteners that are missing that I need to add to this list.

Diagrams can be found at H&W for reference at these links.

Quill Housing Assembly
Variable Speed Back Gear Assembly
Leadscrew Assembly
Basic Machine (Base)

Quill Stop KnobQuill Housing Assembly
Socket Cap ScrewQuill Housing Assembly
Steel NutQuill Housing Assembly
Feed Trip Lever with Set ScrewQuill Housing Assembly
Hand Wheel AssemblyQuill Housing Assembly
Feed Reverse Knob AssemblyQuill Housing Assembly
Quill Lock HandleQuill Housing Assembly
Pinion Shaft Hub ScrewQuill Housing Assembly
Collet Alignment ScrewQuill Housing Assembly
Special Socket Set Screw (for collet alignment)Quill Housing Assembly
Plastic BallVariable Speed Back Gear Assembly
Hi/Low Shift CrankVariable Speed Back Gear Assembly
Hi/Low Pinion BlockVariable Speed Back Gear Assembly
Roll PinVariable Speed Back Gear Assembly
Socket Head Cap ScrewVariable Speed Back Gear Assembly
Hi/Low Detent PlungerVariable Speed Back Gear Assembly
Hi/Low Detent Plunger SpringVariable Speed Back Gear Assembly
Washer Head ScrewLeadscrew Assembly
Longitudinal Feed NutLeadscrew Assembly
Way Wiper KitBasic Machine (Base)
26x4, 36x2
Ram Pinion HandleBasic Machine (Base)
Plastic BallBasic Machine (Base)
Gib Adjusting Screw (knee)Basic Machine (Base)

Hi - I have a fully rebuilt head (everything in your link to the "Variable speed back gear assembly" link) that I could sell you. it is 1.5HP. let me know if you want to just swap it out.

Hi - I have a fully rebuilt head (everything in your link to the "Variable speed back gear assembly" link) that I could sell you. it is 1.5HP. let me know if you want to just swap it out.

I'm going to stick with the 2 HP head that I have and just replace missing parts. Thank you.

Back