What's new
What's new

Programming TECO L510 VFD in Bridgeport

Bellaru433

Aluminum
I just installed a TECO L510 on my Bridgeport milling machine in order to turn my single phase 220 power into the three phase 220 power needed to power my machine... And now I am completely lost... I can't see how your average person can possibly understand what all these electrical parameters are and their functions.. all I want to do is be able to turn on the machine and increase or decrease the RPMs with the up and down arrows.. all I can get this thing to do is turn my motor on to about less than five RPMs where it barely spins.. I know there are other functions that I need to get to like how many seconds for acceleration and deceleration amongst others but for now I would just go with the default.. i've looked everywhere on YouTube but no where can I find a video that will actually take someone through the steps needed to get the basics going with this thing.. I know I have it properly installed with my two wires coming from the input in the right connections and the ground also connected and the three wires coming from the machine in the right connections and the ground hooked up.. but I can't get this thing to do anything other than slowly spin... Can anyone offer me any help here Or steer me in the right direction as to a tech support phone number ...? I would truly appreciate it.. thank you

Do you have a manual for it? Usually there are a few simple parameters to adjust accel/deccel time, max HZ, motor FLA, operation type (keypad or digital input), etc.

Yes I do... But it doesn't explain what each function is but it doesn't explain what each function is.. gives the technical term for it and that's it I have no idea what any of this means.. I would think that they would give you the technical term and then in parentheses have it broken down in away where your average person can get an understanding of what it all means...
Like I said all I want to do is to be able to hit the run button and speed it up or slow it down with the up and down buttons that's it... I had an older Bridgeport and it had the older. Teco 50 installed on it which they don't make anymore and that's the way this one was set up also,,, this you are one has a potentiometer on it also but like I said I'm not interested in using that I'd rather just use the up-and-down buttons but I can't even get it to spin any faster other than less than five RPMs,,, i'm sure everything is all screwed up as far as the settings from when I made a attempt to just to get it going to where it would function... I am totally lost... Thing is I have 3 South Bend lathes,, a 9C which is 110v and another 10 heavy which is also 110v and the new one that I just had sent from Ohio is also three phase which I have to hook Nother VFD onto that one also...
I just don't know what I'm gonna do,, I don't know anybody locally that could actually come and do it for me.. i'm hoping to find someone I can call that could walk me through it... Anyway thank you

Like you mentioned things like,, max HZ, motor FLA, operation type (keypad or digital input), I have no idea what any of that means,, and if I could figure out how to adjust those I don't know what I'm adjusting...:(((

I googled a manual and have some params for you to set.
I assume you know how to get it to set them.

First number is the group; second is the individual.

00-00 set to 0; turns slave mode off
00-02 set to 0 for keypad on/off; 1 for a switch
00-05 set to 0 for keypad adjustment; 1 for knob
00-12 HZ upper limit- set to 60-100 or whatever
00-13 HZ lower limit- set to 1 or whatever
00-14 accel time in seconds
00-15 decel time in seconds

02-03 motor speed in RPM
02-04 motor voltage (240)
02-06 motor freq. set to 60-100

05-01 preset speed; default is 5 set to 60 or whatever you feel like :D

If you set all these you should be good to go.
Hope this helps!

FWIW, Automation Direct VFD's are very easy to set up.

Thank you very much sir.. I really appreciate it... i'll give it my best shot.. once again thank you....

Hello sir I have a question if you're still around... when I get to 02-03 Motor RPMs.. I set that to what the RPMs of my motor Is rated,, which I believe is 1730... Also 05-01 Preset speed,, says the default is 5,, but set to 60 or whatever.. I don't know what that whatever would be.,,, don't even know what this means should I just stick with 60..? Thank you...

Well I did everything and for some reason when I went to start to adjust the motor RPMs it was already at 1710 so I just inputted that and push the run button and it's still doing the same thing the motor is just spinning as slow as it can possibly spin,, there's no way to make it go faster,,, When I hook up the four wires that come from the motor that go into the output connections,,The Red black and white wire that go into T1-T2-T3... Are those supposed to go into specific connections I just kept them where they were because the motor happen to be spinning in the proper direction even though it was barely moving...???
I'm wondering if I happen to had inputted something by accident that's keeping it from working properly even though I did input everything you told me to do and I can't find anywhere where it tells me how to reset this thing back to factory where I can start fresh again,, nowhere in the manual is there anything about resetting it.. now I'm even seeing videos on YouTube where it says that the manual is actually wrong if you can believe it.. this whole thing is turning into a big nightmare,, i'm staring at a milling machine I can't even use for weeks now...

I am about at the end of my rope without seeing it and/or pushing buttons on it.

If I were you, I would call Teco and ask them to walk you through it. Failing that, buy a VFD from Automation Direct. They are good with support.

Hello sir I have a question if you're still around... when I get to 02-03 Motor RPMs.. I set that to what the RPMs of my motor Is rated,, which I believe is 1730... Also 05-01 Preset speed,, says the default is 5,, but set to 60 or whatever.. I don't know what that whatever would be.,,, don't even know what this means should I just stick with 60..? Thank you...

Okay, I read your post the second time...:D

For param 05-01- the default is 5 hertz. Set it to 60 for now. The "whatever" meant it doesn't have to be 60, it could be 40 or 100 or whatever speed you want the motor to run. :D

Hello everyone,
I am new to the forum, but I happen to have a TECO L510 and Just programmed it a few days ago. It should have at least worked out of the box with factory settings, just not as good as it should. Below is a youtube video that actually tells you what PID settings he used, May not be 100% for yours but should get you going. My motor is a 3400 RPM but I can now get it over 4000 without any problems using the knob on the front of the unit.
Hope it helps.

YouTube

I have a l510 on my belt grinder, I have the manual that came with it. There was no way I could figure out how to set it up. I called them and they walked me through how to do it.

Back