What's new
What's new

Prototrak program help needed!

LOU_BRICANT

Plastic
Hello All,

First post on here. I've been an active reader on the forum for a while, but haven't become a member until now (since I'm in a pinch).

CAM Export Program: CAMWorks 2017
Machine: Bridgeport w/ SWI TRAK AGE 2 - .cam programs imported via 3 1/2 floppy A

Below I have attached G code of the program for reference, as well as a snapshot of the tool I'm working with.

I have compared the dimensions of the tool and the CAD model, and it is correct within acceptable standards.
The setup in the vise and the origin were verified as correct prior to machining the first run of parts.
I double checked that the program values for the tool path matched CAD when imported into the machine.
The Bridgeport table/Trak AGE calibration was checked and verified as acceptable.

Here is the problem - when the program is executed, pocket #1 machined as expected, but pockets #2-6 progressively became worse, with the chamfer contours shifting in the X+ direction only, despite the Prototrak display the correct tool path values.

Is there a known issue with certain file formats causing a compounding shift in tool path??

Thank you all for your help in advance!
View attachment 13102.txtToolpath in CAD.JPG

Is it possible the head is not trammed and you are raising the table to do the pockets /chamfer ?

Just noticed it is an old thread but hey ho.

He said his axis was checked, but I'm thinking that there is a ballscrew or encoder problem. Simple to check with a ball bar. If you've got one, have it shot with a laser every 6".

Now, he could compensate with the program by changing the distance to each pocket.
JR

He said his axis was checked, but I'm thinking that there is a ballscrew or encoder problem. Simple to check with a ball bar. If you've got one, have it shot with a laser every 6".

Now, he could compensate with the program by changing the distance to each pocket.
JR
old Prototraks with trav a dial encoders or a fine tooth wheel in contact with side of table are famous for chips jamming the encoder wheel from turning. the foam seal and metal scraper suppose to be changed like yearly and often aint changed in 10 or 20 years
goes like control says move X and encoder wheel cannot turn so closed loop feed back says X didnt move as expected and it gives it full rapid til it confirms movement. sometimes chip comes out with .001 or 1.000" additional movement and obvious it might test ok if no chips getting caught between encoder wheel and side of table
i had encoder wheel trav a dial replaced with newer type of scale looked like ground SS tube with ball bearings inside that a sensor reads the balls. it was 100x more resistant to chips effecting it. factory service guy brought the trav a dial maintenance kit for replacing foam seal and spring steel scraper for the Y axis trav a dial encoder and showed me the calibration procedure after he upgraded the X axis

Don't think an AGE2 would use travadial.

i have also seen glass scale encoders with a bad spot. normally display numbers are gone when that happens. just saying on closed loop feedback the scale talks to control to confirm movement. if it senses no movement the full rapid motion till movement is detected has broken many end mills before
just saying could be a mechanical problem not gcode

Back