Pulling Series 2 Bridgeport Head -- what else while I'm in there?
Close
Login to Your Account
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Pulling Series 2 Bridgeport Head -- what else while I'm in there?

Last year I hit the "home machine shop lottery" when my work decided to give me a couple machines from the former shop. I snagged a 50x14 Clausing engine lathe as well as a very well equipped Bridgeport Series 2 mill. Trailered it all home and had the neighbor pluck them off with his Bobcat T300.

The mill has Accurite CNC (gen1), power drawbar, vice, a Hardinge rotary axis, lube pump, and some tooling. Came from a clean machine shop with very light use and maintained well. CNC servos were just serviced / replaced before they let the last machinist go. I've seen it run and perform some amazing feats.

Onto the problem. When I was moving the Bridgeport home, I loosened the 4 main head bolts and successfully rotated the mill head 180-deg for transport. Then the mill sat in my shop with a heat shrink poly boat wrap for 14months. Finally got my rotary phase converter and decided to uncover the machine and get it setup. First thing I did was a mistake: I forgot to loosen 1 of the 4 head bolts and ended up snapping the worm gear shaft fairly easily. I was excited, what can I say. Made me so angry because the head moves so freely/effortlessly when the bolts are loosened. I just got carried away with the impact gun. New worm gear / bolt on order.

So now I'm pulling the mill's head. ANYTHING ELSE I SHOULD MAINTAIN OR REPLACE WHILE I'M IN THERE WITH THE HEAD OFF?

Thanks for your help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DMoneyAllstar View Post
    I just got carried away with the impact gun. New worm gear / bolt on order.
    ...ANYTHING ELSE I SHOULD MAINTAIN OR REPLACE WHILE I'M IN THERE WITH THE HEAD OFF?
    Please don't touch anything else while you're there with the head off.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like

Check the belt.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don’t use an impact wrench on the rotation bolt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. Likes HWElecRepair liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ripperj View Post
    Don’t use an impact wrench on the rotation bolt.
    That's excellent advice. The rotation bolt should only be used gently and then only with assistance in positioning the head.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Newman109 View Post
    That's excellent advice. The rotation bolt should only be used gently and then only with assistance in positioning the head.
    Hind-sight is 20/20. I was using my little Makita 18v cordless impact, but without the the 4th nut loosened, I hit a wall. The nut was a pain to get to (behind z-axis cnc box) and it "looked" loose. I knew better.

I'm not planning on touching much of anything else. Just hope the worm gear and what's left of the shaft will come out without too much surgery.

The mill head is basically upside-down in transport position (motor-side down). The motor and the power draw-bar are closest proximity to the table, so I'll really only be able to lift the head off with my 2-ton hoist and load balancer. And then reinstall it in same position, and then crank her over.

Also hoping the Accurite Z-axis removal / reinstall is simple (uses same 4 head bolts with threaded couplers connected to mill's bolts).

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ah so this is a Series II Special? Just a normal 2HP head?

It is a simple process, but time consuming to get the Z axis casting off. Take the motor off, scale off (if it is scale driven, yours could be rotary encoder driven), take the belt and pulley off, remove the thrust nut, then you gotta remove the 4 bolts holding the casting to the head. This part is kinda by feel, but at this point you gotta lower the ballscrew so that you can finagle the casting off of the head. At this point, you should be able to remove the head.

Jon

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's the machine (before I moved it). Picture it now with the 4th axis removed and the entire head rotated 180-deg...

bridgeport_01.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ya thats just a regular Bridgeport, JR would argue whether its called a Series I or not.

So taking the Z axis casting off can be a pain, but its more just a little time consuming. I know my description above was quite vague, but if you wanna call I can give you a more detailed walk through of how to get it off. 800-285-5271

Jon
    H&W Machine Repair

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To be honest, I didn't realize I called it a series 2 in the title, lol. Not like it says Series 1 right on the machine or anything. ****IT IS A SERIES 1, 2HP MILL****

I've peered into the Z-axis casting. Doesn't look like much in there except I'm not familiar with how the cnc attaches to the quill. I've got some books and schematics to reference. And then afterwards I need to make sure the Z-assembly is re-aligned so that Acu-rite Millpwr works worth a crap.

Good news is that I've got my replacement head bolt.

Here's my actual setup as she sits today at lunch-time...

2019-07-23.jpg
    2019-07-23-1-.jpg
    Last edited by DMoneyAllstar; 07-23-2019 at 12:39 PM.